Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have the implant in my arm the last 8 months and still…

Customer Question
I have the implant...

I have the implant in my arm the last 8 months and still have serious pain in my arm and leg at times (most of the time my arm feels dead and I cannot hold it up or certain ways too long) my hand often cramps from it. It’s not a nice feeling I left it this long incase it went away but it hadn’t. Also my breathing has got slot worse (I have asthma) which involves me getting steroids from my go and using my inhaler a lot more and more visits to the doctor

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling no but you can see the implant in my arm a lot more now compared to when I got it in . It’s constant pain mostly around the bar area

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I few lumps and bumps have appeared beside my right breast/armpit area but the gp checked them out and said she’s not overall worried about them but to get blood tests in a few weeks time maybe

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/13/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello-

What type of implant do you have in your arm? Is this a nerve stimulator or spinal cord stimulator?

Is it a joint replacement? Something else?

Implanon for contraception

OK.

How long have you been having pain in your arm and leg?

Have you had any doctor evaluate you for your arm and leg pains?

Did it start at the same time of the implant, or did this arm and leg pain start at a different time?

All the pains started after I got the implant in before I had no pains like this. The doctors recommended I left in longer and longer to see if it got better but hasn’t.
Should I get it removed?

OK.

Can you describe where exactly in the arm it hurts? Is it over the front of the arm (bicep) and into the hand (which fingers)?

Or the back of the arm? Just the shoulder? etc..

And where in the leg does it hurt? The front, back , outside, etc?

It’s in the front of the arm where the implant is and goes down my whole arm on the inside and my hand feels cramped and cold. Feels like the back of my leg it’s a strange sort of feeling . Can’t explain really

OK.

I don't think the implant is the issue here.

Having an issue with the implant first is rare, and if it does cause irritation or inflammation, it typically would only be a problem right around the insertion site -- not down your arm down to the hand, and certainly not in the leg.

I would have your doctor evaluate you for other potential issues, such as nerve irritation in the neck (which can cause arm pain that radiates down into the hand, and cause cramping and weird sensations such as numbness, tingling, hot/cold, etc). Evaluation of the cervical spine with MRI could be helpful here.

Your leg pains may very well be mild "sciatica" - a nerve irritation in the lower back.

But to put the blame on a small implant to cause all those symptoms would be unusual. The one caveat -- if the implant was placed too deep - and is touching a nerve in the arm (like the radial nerve), it could cause pain down the arm, and if that's the case, then removing the implant would be best. Of course, this is supposed to be right under the skin in your arm, so if you can feel it right under your skin, it is not deep enough to cause a problem with the nerve.