Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had lower back and hip pain for a few years now. I…

Hi, I have had lower...
Hi, I have had lower back and hip pain for a few years now. I have recently lost 45 lbs but still have another 35 to go. The pain prevents me from really doing a lot. I have had a full OBGYN work up including pap, ultrasound and blood-work. I have diverticulitis but no flare up. I have a memory foam mattress that I wonder if that’s the cause. I just started taking glucosamine and chondroitin hoping this will help. I’m a former dancer and cheerleader so I wonder if that is the cause. I read about sciatica but I’m not sure that’s it. My question is, how will I really know the cause?
3/13/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Did you have any test for back & hip pain?

Did you consult any doctor for this pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No test. I have not spoken to my primary care about this. I just told my obgyn. Are there tests for the hips and back?

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The pain in the lower back, hip can occur from a few possibilities.
Muscle strain can be a factor.
In some cases it can be due to weakness of muscles of the back.
It can be due to degenerative changes in the spine, arthritis.
I would advise to consult your primary doctor or an orthopedic to have an examination.
Tests like X rays/ MRI scans can be taken.
Blood metabolic panel, calcium, vitamin D level can be checked.
Physiotherpay to strengthen back muscles can be helpful.
Physical therapy is often useful to correct the posture, increase the flexibility & increase the strength of muscles which help with pain.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Dr Su S
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)