Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My brother was has type 2 diabetes. He just found he had it…

Hi Doc. My brother was...
Hi Doc. My brother was has type 2 diabetes. He just found he had it and has actually had it for about a year without knowing. He has lost 70 pounds (ex football player) with a lot more weight he can loose. His doctor told him that if he loses the excess weight he can eliminate the diabetes. His doctor says the KEY is keeping the weight off once the diabetes is put in remission. He said the diabetes will stay in remission as long as the weight is not gained back. Do you agree with this doc?
3/13/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello and thank you for requesting me. In short, yes, I agree with your brother’s doctor. Type 2 diabetes is basically a situation where the body is producing insulin but because of overweight it has become insensitive to it. Insulin is what allows our blood sugar to go into the tissues from the bloodstream. With Type 2 diabetes the tissues are resistant to the insulin so he blood sugar stays outside the tissues and rises to levels in the bloodstream that cause harm. Medications can be used in Type 2 diabetes to increase insulin sensitivity and allow the blood sugars to decrease by getting into the tissues. Once significant body weight is lost, insulin sensitivity returns and many times medications can be reduced or even stopped as the insulin becomes effective again. Keeping the weight off keeps the body sensitive to insulin again and thus resolved Type 2 diabetes. Can I help with anything else today?
Thank you doc for the response. He has never taken any medication he quickly started to diet to lose the weight. His fasting BG is 85-89. Doc so once he reverses this diabetes can he eat a normal diet? His Doctor is Saying as long as the WEIGHT is not regained he is not worried about what he eat he only cares if the weight is regained. ( of course healthy eating) he said once his insulin sensitivity is regained weight gain will bring the diabetes back.
I see. His current fasting BG is now excellent. Yes, as long as the weight is down, he does not have to worry about what he eats so long as it’s generally a healthy diet. And yes, Type 2 diabetes can return if he were to gain a lot of weight back.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD