Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does it mean when one side of the diaphragm is higher…

What does it mean...

What does it mean when one side of the diaphragm is higher than the other and what can cause this?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

It's my 19 year old daughter. She had the chest xray yesterday which is when they found it. She takes Lamictal, trazedone, Ativan, Omeprazole, symbicort inhaler, albuterol inhaler

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

She's been sick for about 2 months. Cough has been bad. Productive cough. She's also cognitively impaired so to get her to spit out the phlegm is almost impossible. No fevers. Fatigue, body aches, weakness, headaches. She did a spirometer (?) and it was low. Doctor was concerned.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Asthma as a young child but that had cleared up. Other than that most of her problems have been bipolar, anxiety disorder, cognitively impaired, ADHD.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Typically the right diaphragm is slightly higher than the left due to her liver and this is normal. Another possibility is a "frozen diaphragm" caused by nerve irritation/damage. Her cough could be post nasal drip which can be controlled with Zyrtec or Claritin, both over the counter. May I assume she has no infection in the lungs (pneumonia) and a clear chest x-ray. Also, with the two inhalers, I will assume her asthma is controlled. Try the Zyrtec or Claritin, her cough should lessen.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor