Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Should i be concerned if my 2 1/2 year old has had really…

Should i be concerned...

Should i be concerned if my 2 1/2 year old has had really bed croup 2 times in 3 months

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

We have but they seem to just administer steroids and send us home with a single dose for the next day

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has been healthy other than the croup. I feel it is not getting out of her system before it flares up again. Is this normal? Is there something else I should be trying?

3/13/2018
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

NO , this is not normal and definitely needs to be investigated to check for bronchitis due to infection by virus or bacteria.

The steroids would only temporary aid in removing the inflammation but the infection will not go away.

Sputum analysis

Frontal x-ray of the neck would be important

viral cultures of the nasopharyngeal mucosa is important

Bacteria infection should be suspected if the disease is not getting out of her system and should be treated with antibiotics.

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Thank you very much for you response. I just have 1 more question - could her not sleeping through the night be a side effect of this still being in her system? my daughter use to sleep all night till about 2 months ago and ever since the croup she is up at least 4 times a night and sometimes it is for 2 hours at a time

Yes not sleeping through the night definitely is a sign of hyperactivity of the nasopharhynx mucosa or the bronchial mucosa.

Not sleeping through the night in addition can cause immune system disturbance and hence she can catch infections early.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and concerns

I have released the rating service application

Regards

Dr Pravin

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician