Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up coughing blood, but it seems to have stopped.... I…

I woke up coughing...

I woke up coughing blood, but it seems to have stopped....

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I haven't had a cough... I kept clearing my throat in bed, but it wouldn't clear - so I went to bathroom and spit in the sink to see lots of blood - which continued for about thirty minutes - now it seems to have stopped...

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I feel okay - I'm at a motel several hundred miles from home...

3/13/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you?

Do you have any other symptom?

Do you take any regular medicine?

I'm 58 - no other symtoms... I take Norvasc, hydrocloriside? Potassium lipitor omegas... It seems to have stopped - not spitting blood at the moment...

Do you have gum or any other disease?

Any pain in stomach or chest pain?

Any other recent illness?

No to all of your questions... I feel okay, but frightened...

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There can be a few causes.
This can be from the mouth like gum bleeding .
In other cases it can be from throat, lungs.
Here the common cause is an infection.
Reflux of blood as from an ulcer of stomach can be there.
In other cases it can be due to a bleeding or coagulation problem.
In some cases no cause is found.
You can now wait & watch as you do not have any other symptom.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

I coughed it up from my lungs, as it felt like it may have been congestion, but I do not feel any congestion at the moment... I have emphysema...

Do you have COPD?

When was it diagnosed?

I don't have a lingering cough... My emphysema was diagnosed in 2008 - I haven't smoked for 15 years...
I've never had an occurance like this before...

As there was much blood & you felt congestion in lungs, I would advise to take an examination by a local doctor.
After examination, he can take an X ray to recheck.
Please take plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.

Okay - thank you...

You are always welcome.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
I'm finished with my questions - I saw my doctor, and she speculated that I had a bloody nose while sleeping, and my c-pap machine pushed the blood down, and when I woke up, I brought all the blood back up... She checked my blood pressure, had chest x-rays taken and listen to my lungs for clarity - and seemed satisfied tgat everything was okay... Thank you for your help!Mike

You are always welcome.

Thank you for the follow up.

Best wishes.