Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a problem with recurrent BV for the past year. I have…

I have a problem with...
I have a problem with recurrent BV for the past year. I have been on Flagyl, Metrogel, Clindamycin, Clindamycin Cream now. The BV always comes back quick after I quit taking the antibiotics. I have read a lot about Rephresh gel and was considering using it. I bought it, but haven't used it yet. I was wondering if it would cure BV and if it is safe to use? Also, I would like to know all the options I have to possibly treat BV? Tired of antibiotics
3/13/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Hi,Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your battle with BV. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Regarding rephresh, actually there are two types of rephresh gel available, one is the prescription variety which contains topical metronidazole cream which is also commonly used to manage BV and the other type which I believe you are talking about contains various medications to correct the vaginal pH. It usually is not enough to eliminate BV altogether but it may help prevent another attack in the future. But as I said on its own, it won't get rid of an active infection.In regards ***** ***** you can do to treat recurrent BV, there are some options which are available to counter recurrent attacks of BV. You have used most of the drugs which are commonly advised for this purpose, however, there are some options in which a combination of these drugs is used for a prolonged period of time.The first option would be to use boric acid capsules intravaginally. Usually, capsules of 600 mg are used once daily for a period of 30 daysAnother option is to use oral metronidazole or tinidazole (in your case I would recommend the latter) for a period of seven days FOLLOWED by boric acid capsules intravaginally for a period of 21 days. If the BV is resolved then you will need to stay on suppressive therapy with metronidazole gel twice weekly for 4-6 months.Another option would be to use a relatively newer drug, namely secnidazole which is used as a single dose. It may be more effective where the other modalities have failed to control the problem. So in short, the Rephresh gel would not eliminate the BV on its own as the evidence regarding its efficacy in this regard is lacking BUT it is safe to use. The other options especially the ones involving the use of boric acid capsules should be considered if you are having recurrent BV. Do you have any more questions?I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below, http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Thank you!

You are welcome, best of luck!

Would that mean I couldn't have sex for the 30 days on boric acid or for the 4 to 5 months on the gel?

You can have sexual intercourse AFTER finishing the course of boric acid, you can have sexual intercourse when you are on the maintenance therapy of metronidazole twice weekly. Just avoid intercourse in an hour or two after applying the cream, that's all.

Thank you

Happy to help!