Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I took clindamycin vaginal cream last night. I have extreme…

Second opinion] I took clindamycin...
Second opinion] I took clindamycin vaginal cream last night. I have extreme anxiety and panic disorder. 40 minutes after I took it I went to the ER bc my throat felt weird which could have been anxiety. I thought I had an allergic reaction. The ER Dr said she doubted I had any allergic reaction. I had no rash, no wheezing, everything was normal at the ER. I need to take the medicine but bc of my anxiety I'm scared to take it again. Is it likely to cause anaphylactic reactions?
3/13/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, i can reassure you that it is extremely unlikely that you will suffer an anaphylactic reaction from using clindamycin. The reason being that if you were to experience an allergic reaction then it would have occurred the first time you used the clindamycin. Usually, an anaphylactic reaction is rapid and occurs almost immediately after using a drug to which you are allergic to. It would have caused the appearance of severe hives all over your body, severe itching and then it would have rapidly progressed to cause swollen lips, tongue and severe shortness of breath which would be accompanied by wheezing. It seems to me that you did not experience any sort of allergic reaction even last night because if you had then it would NOT have settled down on its own and they would have certainly noticed it in the ER quite easily.

An allergic reaction to any drug or even a food product would NOT settle down on its own at all. Especially when the drug has entered your body and it would need medications to be controlled. It sounds like that you developed a panic attack rather than an allergic reaction as the symptoms were not visible to the ER doctor last night.

So I think you don't need to worry at all here as you will NOT suffer an anaphylactic reaction when you use clindamycin again tonight.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
No your explanation was amazing. Thank you!!!

You are welcome, best of luck!