Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I took clindamycin vaginal cream last night. I have extreme…

I took clindamycin vaginal cream...
I took clindamycin vaginal cream last night. I have extreme anxiety and panic disorder. 40 minutes after I took it I went to the ER bc my throat felt weird which could have been anxiety. I thought I had an allergic reaction. The ER Dr said she doubted I had any allergic reaction. I had no rash, no wheezing, everything was normal at the ER. I need to take the medicine but bc of my anxiety I'm scared to take it again. Is it likely to cause anaphylactic reactions?
3/13/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

What treatment did the doctor give in ER?

She gave me Benadryl

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There is no clear symptom of allergy.
There was no rash or itching.
Anxiety can also cause throat symptoms.
It is unlikely that you would have an anaphylactic reaction.

Still if you feel any symptom you can take benadryl or Zyrtec.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

I added the report

Thank you for the report.

There is no specific allergic report.

Still they treated with antihistamine.

You can call your Ob/ Gyn for a review.

do you think it is safe to take

The reaction was non specific.

It was not mentioned clearly as allergy.

I think you should call your Ob/Gyn office & see whether to change clindamycin.

She said on the report she doubted it was an allergy
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

An allergic reaction will cause prominent and obvious symptoms such as itching, a skin rash, and breathing difficulty. You did not have any of these symptoms. Your throat feeling weird without any obvious signs on physical examination (your doctor has not noted any abnormal examination and your examination was normal) does not mean that you had an allergic reaction or anaphylaxis. So, it is safe for you to continue using clindamycin vaginal cream. This will not cause any allergic reactions since you are not allergic to the cream. Also, allergy to this cream is very rare. Therefore I think it is safe for you to take this medication again.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Thank you

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!
Glad that I could help.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor