Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a problem with recurrent BV for the past year. I have…

Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a problem with recurrent BV for the past year. I have been on Flagyl, Metrogel, Clindamycin, Clindamycin Cream. The BV always comes back quick after I quit taking the antibiotics. I have read a lot about Rephresh gel and was considering using it. I bought it, but haven't used it yet. I was wondering if it would cure BV and if it is safe to use? Also, I would like to know all the options I have to possibly treat BV?
3/13/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

You can use this gel and it may help with the BV. It is safe to use as according to a study RepHresh® showed no significant toxicity or adverse effects at all tested dilution. In another study, it was shown that by using this probiotic the recurrent BV frequency can be reduced. So you can use this product safely if antibiotics have not been beneficial.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there any other options to treat or cure BV? Can you get rid of BV without the antibiotics?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Several studies recommend using L. acidophilus probiotic vaginal suppository to help cure BV. A few studies recommend eating yogurt with L. acidophilus cultures to treat BV. So, you can try these if antibiotics are not helpful.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dear customer,
Thank you for rating my answer.
However, I kindly ask you to review your rating since even though my answer was not to your liking it is very accurate and based on numerous studies and scientific facts. Please rate the answer with 3 stars at least so that I will be compensated for giving you a correct factual answer which took your safety and well-being into consideration. I appreciate you for your kindness, compassion, and generosity.
If you have any further questions or if my answer was not clear please kindly use reply and ask me to clarify instead of giving a negative rating.
Thank you!
Please kindly review the rating.

Dear customer,

Antibiotics are the most important treatment of BV and if BV that does not resolve after one course of antibiotic it may be cured by giving a second course of the same antibiotic or by switching to another agent. So, I would recommend another course of antibiotic if your BV always comes back quick after quitting the antibiotic. This will cure the BV.

Take care.

Please review your rating.

Thank you for your kindness.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have taken several treatments with antibiotics and took them correctly. I have taken at least 5 courses including metrogel clindamycin cream flagyl pills clindamycin pills. None of these antibiotics got rid of the BV. I still test positive. I wanted to know if anything besides these antibiotics would cure the BV?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

After taking antibiotic to prevent a recurrence of BV and for a cure it is important to replenish a healthy vaginal microflora to prevent recurrent overgrowth of the responsible bacteria. This can be done by taking probiotics, preferably in capsule form. So, probiotics are the alternative to antibiotics.

Another alternative to antibiotics that is effective in BV is tea tree oil suppositories or douching with tea tree oil. You can do this by mixing 1 teaspoon of tea tree essential oil in 2 cups warm water and then douche.

Take care.

Please review your rating by clicking 5-stars.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
L. acidophilus probiotic suppository wasn't specific on how much or how long to take it. Also the tea tree oil wasn't specific on how often or how long...

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

L. acidophilus probiotic suppository and tea tree oil should be used for 3 weeks to show beneficial results. You should take the probiotic and tea tree oil once daily for 3 weeks and I am sure that you BV will be cured.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wanted to rate you 5 star but clicked on 3

Dear customer,

Thank you!

You can change the rating to 5-stars by contacting the moderators and describe them of your intention to rate my answer with 5-stars but have clicked the 3 stars by mistake. You can do this by using the below link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/customer-support

Thank you so much!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor