Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother passed away from Alzheimer’s disease and my dad…

My mother passed away from...
My mother passed away from Alzheimer’s disease and my dad passed from prostrate cancer. Am I at risk for any of these diseases?
3/13/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well Alzeimer's disease isnt fully understood .

Scientists believe that for most people, the disease has genetic, lifestyle, and environmental factors. All these factors may work together to create the right conditions for the disease to take root.

There is a hereditary component to Alzheimer’s. People whose parents or siblings have the disease are at a slightly higher risk of developing the condition. However, we’re still a long way from understanding the genetic mutations that lead to the actual development of the disease.

Only 5-10% of prostatic cancer are hereditary so the likelihood is only slightly increased.

Hope it was helpful.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor