Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had problems with bv for a while. It seems to go away…

Customer Question
I have had problems with...
I have had problems with bv for a while. It seems to go away but always come back again. I’ve taken antibiotics many times, only for it to go away for a few weeks and reappear. What can I do about this problem?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/13/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. How old are you?

Do you know what medications you have already tried? Any other medical problems or daily medications that you take?

I’m 24 years old. I have tried antibiotics and probiotics. Recently I have been taking rephresh pro-b for the last three weeks. It had seemed to be helping to reduce the discharge and lessen the smell but some days are better than others

Recurrent BV is a difficult issue to treat and thus far there is no conclusive clinical recommendations for the issue. Probiotics which you are using can definitely help. Rephresh pro-B is also a good idea. It sounds like you are doing things correctly so far.

Couple things to add, which may or may not pertain to you: Although BV is not considered to be a sexually transmitted disease, it has a similar epidemiologic profile to other sexually transmitted infections in that it has been shown to be associated with new and multiple male and female sexual partners. Therefore, preventing unprotected sexual encounters may also reduce the incidence and recurrence of BV.

One study also showed that consistent condom use for about 6 months can also help to prevent BV.

Douching should also be avoided.

Help keep your vaginal bacteria balanced. Use warm water only to clean the outside of your vagina. You do not need to use soap. Even mild soap can cause infection or irritate your vagina. Always wipe front to back from your vagina to your anus. Keep the area cool by wearing cotton or cotton-lined underpants.

Avoid using strong detergents when washing your underwear.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.