Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

No wheezing, easy breaths. just a funnyfeeling in upper

No wheezing, easy breaths...

No wheezing, easy breaths. just a funnyfeeling in upper chest. xrays clear on lungs. prescribed 40 mg pred 1x/day for 5 days; could 20 mg do as well, productive cough.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No, just take evista

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No temp, normal bp, good oxygen. i weigh 107 pounds.

3/13/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

What is your age & gender?

Since how long you have this productive cough?

Any sore throat?

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having a funny feeling in upper chest along with productive cough can be due to upper respiratory tract infection caused by viral infection.

As you are prescribed with prednisolone 40 mg,I advise you to take it in prescribed dosage or you can take 20 mg twice a day. This will reduce the inflammation/swelling in lungs.

Also following is recommended for you:

• You need expectorant cough mixture to help loosen the phlegm and make it easier to cough up from the airways.Expectorants contain ingredients such as guaifenesin, ipecachuana or ammonium citrate.The only expectorant available in OTC products is guaifenesin (some brand names: Mucinex, Robitussin Chest Congestion).So I advice you to take mucinex cough syrup,it will help you greatly & is available as OTC without prescription.

• Keep a humidifier running in your room.
  • Use an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day.This will provide you dramatic relief.

All this will help you greatly.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
74, female, a few days, minor sore throat, not prescribed an inhaler, just cough suppressor as needed and flonase bp. mucinex big help, and humidifier on. just some sweats prior to tsking 20 mg pred this evening. If a only took 20 mg next day and it reduced chesty feeling and cough was productive why should i take 40 mg? And how would i know whether to follow md advice of 40 vs 20 mg. the one 20 mg i tried removed chesty heavy problem. Did i say i weight 107 and am 4'11". Doctor seemed really competent and was pleased with totally clear lung xrays front and latera.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No need for call. Thanksfor your second opinion

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Yes,most likely this is URTI of viral origin.

Continue taking mucinex as prescribed.

Even though you will get relief from 20 mg also but taking the prescribed 40 mg will reduce the inflammation in lung tissue completely.

High dosage for short duration of prednisone is usually better then low dosage for long duration.

So please take the dosage as prescribed.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor