Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Are certain kinds of antidepressants good at lowering my…

Are certain kinds of antidepressants...
Are certain kinds of antidepressants good at lowering my libido and if so,what are they?
3/13/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

The SSRIs would be the class of antidepressants to consider in this situation, for two reasons.

In most persons, a reduction in libido would be considered an adverse effect of an antidepressant. Within that context, the SSRIs are the class of antidepressant that is most likely to cause a reduced libido as an adverse effect.

SSRIs also would be appropriate to consider from another perspective. In someone that has compulsive behavior, the SSRIs are frequently considered as first-line medicine, particularly if behavioral interventions are not possible or fail to help. You mentioned in our previous discussion that you were having some compulsive behavior relating to masturbation and we discussed that it is more often psychologic in origin. In that situation, the primary medicine that would be considered would be an SSRI.

There are many SSRIs available, including Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would paxil work to lower the my libido?

Paxil is also an SSRI antidepressant, so all the comments above also apply to Paxil.

Is there any further information that would be helpful to clarify the answer to this question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need more information about Paxil.

What question do you have about Paxil?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started taking Paxil in 5ml bottles in December of last year.I have been taking it ever since.My routine was to dispense it each evening at 10oclock but now I was prescribed 10ml.I havent started taking that yet because im not sure if I should do it at the same time as the 5ml bottle or should I change it,so it doesnt wear off during my non-sleep times.

Paxil has a long half-life of 21 hours so only needs to be taken once daily. Most of the time, it is taken int he morning, but it can be taken at night.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but if I take it at night and dont see a difference for my waking hours then I will dispense it in the morning.

No. That is not how you should take any antidepressant. It will take weeks for any antidepressant to build up in your system. So, you need to take the medicine regularly at the time that you take it. If you do not see any improvement over weeks, then you need to discuss with your doctor whether the dose needs to be adjusted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you saying that I should take it at night because thats been my routine since December even though I will be taking 10mls for the first time.

No. I am saying that Paxil only needs to be taken once daily and that it is usually taken in the morning, but it can be taken at night. Regardless of when you have been taking it, it is fine to now start taking it in the morning. If you want to transition into taking it in the morning, an increase in dose would be an opportune time to do so, since you could take 5 ml one night, 5 ml the next morning, and then 10 ml every morning thereafter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long would it take for the 10ml to work?

As I said above, it will take weeks for any antidepressant to build up in your system.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long in weeks?

3-4 weeks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im not quite finished yet but thanks for your responses so far.From what you know, is 10mls a great dosage to help relieve symptoms?

That is the most common dose.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told by my psychiatrist that a person can be prescribed the maximum amount of 40mls. How effective is 10mls for a variety of psychiatric problems and for lowering libido?

The maximum recommended dose varies according to the diagbosis. For obsessive-compulsive disorder,t he maximum recommended dose is 60 mg per day, which is 30 ml per day.

There are no studies designed to specifically asses the effectiveness of Paxil to lower libido. As I said above, a lowered libido is generally a side effect that we try to avoid in most people. Overall, sexual side effects occur in about 50% of people that take SSRIs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.How soon should I increase my dosage?

As we discussed above, if you do not see any improvement over 3-4 weeks, then you need to discuss with your doctor whether the dose needs to be adjusted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.Is it ever a good idea to increase the dosage on a weekly basis?

When someone has more severe symptoms, the doctor may decide to increase the dose more quickly, but the doctor also would typically be monitoring the patient more closely, as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor