Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My friend is taking gabapentin 600mg and I see extremely…

Customer Question
My friend is taking...

My friend is taking gabapentin 600mg and I see extremely sleepy. She has been on this medication for years but has a new formulation

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

She takes nothing else-she almost feels like a coma or a heavy dream

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has neuropathy, which is why she takes gabapentin

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/13/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

While Gabapentin can cause drowsiness and fatigue, but if she has been on it for quite some time it should not affect her sleeping patterns to that extent any longer. If she has developed more fatigue, drowsiness and has been extremely sleepy then she should go see her doctor and get a physical done. This might not be related to the Gabapentin and in order to not miss anything, she should see her PCP.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Should she stop taking it now?

To see if it helps with the symptoms she can go on a drug holiday for 3 to 4 days.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.