Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Im not sure how I got this bruise on my waistline. Ive been…

Im not sure how...

Im not sure how I got this bruise on my waistline. Ive been keeping an eye on it and have had it for months. It looks like the bruise may be getting worse recently (potentially because I am touching it). It is more purple with a hint of redness. Under the bruise I can also feel a bb size bump or ball. I would go to the doctor but as of the moment I do not have insurance. In about 2 months I will. If I still have it, I will go which may be likely. Do you know what this could be? It is painful when I am and when I am not touching it. It almost feels like I pulled something.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have had the pain ut I think by me touching it that it may have made it hurt worse or may have made the bruise bigger but I only recently began to touch it to make sure the ball isn't getting any bigger

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I suppose it also hurts a bit more when I do more physical work like bending and lifting in excess.
3/13/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you attach a picture of the bruise in question so I can see it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a little more red right now. Before I messaged you I thought if it was an ingrown hair or something that it may be able to be drained by poking it barely with a sterile needle. That is why you also see the red dot. There red dot was not there before I did that.
I see, thank you for the picture and for that information. It is very possible that it could be as you said an ingrown hair. Being on the waistline, it’s also very possible that it’s a chronically blocked skin pore with underlying inflammation, think of it like a pimple that never fully goes away but keeps coming back. I would try not to touch it too much, wash with soap and water and even dab a little over the counter antibiotic ointment on it 2-3x per day for a week, to prevent infection. As long as it’s not rapidly growing, oozing pus, bleeding, or becoming extremely painful, it should be okay until you have insurance coverage and can then go see a doctor in person.
Can I help with anything else today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have psoriasis. What it the best in store or home remedy to get rid of it?
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory skin condition, similar to eczema. A good lotion or moisturizer and some hydrocortisone 1% ointment can help.
Anything else?
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it!
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD