Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a toenail that has a black stripe on it. What does…

I have a toenail...

I have a toenail that has a black stripe on it. What does this mean

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

No medication.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

Really, I have no symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I dislocated the foot the nail is on 38 years ago. I have always had numbness in that foot.

3/13/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can you send me a picture of the nail? Let me know.

How?

You can attach the picture here in this thread. If you can not figure it then you can send the picture to customer service and they will forward it to me.

Please see pic
Did you receive the pic?

This looks like a subungual hematoma, which means that you bumped the toe and didn't notice it because you have numbness which resulted in blood to collect between the nail bed and the nail plate. This is especially true if the black mark is decreasing in size. The other cause can be a fungal infection in which case the black spot should grow out with the nail.

This does not look like a melanoma but I would still advise that you go and see your Dermatologist for an up-close examination under a magnifying glass if this does not seem to be getting better in a week.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thank you.
You have been helpful
- Sincerely
M

Glad I could help.

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Thank you so much and take care.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor