Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can closing the rectus abdominis muscle help relieve some…

Customer Question
Can closing the rectus...

Can closing the rectus abdominis muscle help relieve some IBS symptoms?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Bloated belly, chronic constipation, burping all the time!!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Fibromyalgia

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
the burping is small un-relieved burping, constant and then one large long burp. Then after a while, burping again, again small un-relieved burping, get nauseated, saliva gets thick, this can go on all day! Nothing helps, and it can be without eating, have even awoke in the middle of the night from a deep sleep burping!
3/13/2018
Doctor: Dr. Gupta, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor

Hi

Welcome to just answer

from the symptoms that you are describing it seems that you are having gastritis or excessive acid formation in stomach. The treatment for this would be to take regular medicines to reduce acidity and diet modifications with increase in water intake. I would recommend you to consult your doctor for prescription medicines. In the meantime, you can avoid cheesy or fried food, reduce tea/coffee intake and increase fiber in diet in the form of fruits and salads. You can also take over the counter medicine for acidity like pepto bismal, gelusil, malox, tums etc

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Regards

I have already tried all the items to which you have suggested, but the question presented was not answered. I wanted to know how closing the abdominal muscle could make things better worse or no different. Please just answer my question, if you have any knowledge of this subject, please do not guess. Everything you had said, has already been done to no avail, thus this was not my question needing addressed. Thank you

The abdominal muscle is in the superficial part of the abdomen. It extends from upper part of abdomen down to the pelvis. It is used only when one does abdominal exercises. One, there is no way to close this muscle. Secondly, it has no relation to the digestive system

Regards

Your above statement is not true. A tummy tuck does close the abdominal muscle as part of the procedure. Upon further investigation, I answered my own question. For your FYI the NHI has the following article about IBS and abdominoplasty. Further, I would like a refund of my monies.Irritable bowel syndrome and abdominoplasty.
Widgerow AD1, Jackson L.
Author information
1
Linksfield Park Clinic and the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Gastroenterology, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.***@******.***
Abstract
Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic disease involving pain or discomfort relieved by defecation and associated with a change in frequency or consistency of the stools. The effect of abdominoplasty on patients with irritable bowel syndrome has not been elucidated, so advising patients with irritable bowel syndrome about the effects of surgery on their disease was difficult. One hundred female patients from a pool of 120 patients responded to a questionnaire relating to abdominoplasty surgery. Follow-up ranged from 6 months to 2 years. Patients completed questionnaires formulated on the basis of Rome II Diagnostic Criteria. Of the 100 patients, nine had true irritable bowel syndrome, nine had moderate symptoms and were receiving medication (not true irritable bowel syndrome), 16 had mild symptoms on occasional medication, and 66 had no symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome before surgery. Of the true irritable bowel syndrome patients, all had symptomatic improvement with decreased medication, eight of the nine patients with moderate symptoms improved markedly, and five of the 16 patients with mild symptoms improved significantly. No patient had any initiation or deterioration of symptoms. It is thus concluded that the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are certainly not worsened, in the short term, by surgery, and may be alleviated or improved in most significant cases.PMID: 15108905
[Indexed for MEDLINE]