Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife is 85 yrs old and had swelling of both legs after…

My wife is 85...

My wife is 85 yrs old and had swelling of both legs after completing a regimen 2 antibiotics for 7 days and prednesone for 5 days. The right leg "sweated" profusely from day 1; the swelling abated after about 2-3 days. However, it continues to sweat. The left leg continues swollen, but has never significantly sweated. It is somewhat tender to the touch, is fairly warm, but has developed a red splotch. I am concerned. Recommendations?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yes to swelling. ? making symptoms worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Lois has COPD; blood work and kidneys, heart, etc good. BP very slightly high.

3/13/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I a more concerned about the left leg which is red, hot and swollen and has a rash as well. It seems the cellulitis or the infective process being treated with the antibiotics has not resolved and your worry is justified. I will suggest that you take her back to her doctor if it is possible tomorrow or go an Urgent Care or the ER. I also recommend you get a doppler ultrasound of both the legs done to rule out deep venous thrombosis (DVT) which is a serious concern.

Elevate her legs over two pillows as she lies down. Do not compress or massage her legs for now until a doctor has ruled out DVT.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
To clarify: Lois was taking antibiotics Levofloxacin 750MG and Metronidazole 500MG for possible lung and gut infections.
Her left leg is not HOT. The redness appears more like a bruise and is tender to the touch. I concur about seeing a Dr. / ER ASAP.

If this is not an infectious process in the lung primarily, then it could be due to two possibilities.

1. DVT due to prolonged bed rest, infection in the lung and GI system, sepsis.

2. Secondary leg infection due to the infectious process in the lungs and GI system (sepsis). The infection can take a hematogenous (blood) route and spread to the legs.

Thank you and take good care.