Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter woke up with hives. We took her to urgent care…

My daughter woke up with...
My daughter woke up with hives. We took her to urgent care and she received a steroid shot and was told to take benedryl along with continued steroids.It seems the hives are lessening, but her lips, hands and feet continue to get worse. Tongue is slightly swollen.Is there any other options? Can she take tagament as an H2 blocker? What is the general protocol for a case like this?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it safe to mix tagamet with benedryl?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can you tell me your daughter's age?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
22 years old and we cant think of anything new that she used/ate

She can take the Tagamet, I doubt that it will help but taking it will not have any adverse effects.

The usual protocol is to keep giving her the Benadryl now that she has received one shot of steroids and keep a close eye on the angioedema (lips and tongue swelling), if the tongue swelling starts to aggravate over 4 hours or reaches a point where it is interfering with breathing or swallowing then she will need to go back to the ER.

Chewing on ice chips and keeping her propped up at a 30-degree angle will help with the swelling. Any wheezing or grunting in breathing should also raise alarms.

It can take 12 hours for the angioedema to start settling down.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok she received the shot at 8 hours ago. The hives stopped except for the lips hands and feed. And, slightly the tongue. is it protocol to increase the benedryl? Shes taking 2 at a time.

No, increasing the Benadryl will not help. If the tongue swelling is at bay and the hives are gone, she has to wait for the rest of the manifestations to go away. It can take time from 12 to 24 hours for the body to set itself back in to balance. The most immediate response of the anti-allergic and the steroids is on the hives and tongue swelling.

For now, do not increase her medication and give her only as prescribed. Keep an eye on her symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor