Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr Chip I had an MRI On my knee

Dr Chip I had an MRI On my knee
Dr Chip I had an MRI and my pcp said I have inflammation on my tendons and I need to strenghten my upper thing muscles and no physical therapy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018

What exactly did the MRI show Kate?

I dont have the report yet. And my pcp just said inflammation of one of my tendons and that my patella slides over it causing the pain

What's your question about that?

Is there anything to do in the mean time until my muscles toghten up? My pcp said he doesnt recommend nsaids as it can cause problems with circulation which could worsen the problem

I don't understand his thinking about the NSAID's there--really makes no sense to me.

Ice, ibuprofen and topical capsaicin cream would be my recommendations for now

But I certainly wouldn't have you try the muscle strengthening on your own--you need a competent physical therapist to supervise that

Menisci: The medial and lateral menisci are well visualized and are
intact.
Cruciate Ligaments: The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are
well visualized and are intact.
Collateral Ligaments and Posterolateral Corner: The medial collateral
ligament is well visualized and is intact. The fibular collateral
ligament, biceps femoris tendon, popliteus muscle and tendon, and the
popliteomeniscal fascicles are intact. No evidence for posterolateral
corner injury.
Patellofemoral Joint: Mild patella alta and lateral patellar
subluxation, likely due to the positioning. The extensor mechanism is
intact. The patellar retinacula are intact.
Knee Joint: No significant joint effusion. No popliteal cyst or
intraarticular body.
Bone/Articular Cartilage: No evidence for fracture or contusion. The
articular cartilage appears intact.
Soft Tissues: Slight lateral origin of the medial head gastrocnemius.
No accessory musculature or circumferential entrapment of the
popliteal fossa neurovascular bundle. Remainder unremarkable.
Impression:
1. No meniscus or ligament tear.
2. No osseous contusion, fracture, or cartilage abnormality.
3. Slight lateral origin of the medial head gastrocnemius, likely of
no clinical significance

Looks pretty good Kate