Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How reaiable would you consider the Colonquard. None. The…

How reaiable would you...

How reaiable would you consider the Colonquard

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The test result came back positive, but I have talked

3/12/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

cologuard has

92% sensitivity in detecting cancer stages I-IV (compared to ~74% for FIT)

94% sensitive in detecting early-stage colorectal cancer (stage I-II)

87% specificity compared to 95% for a leading fecal immunochemical test (FIT)

https://www.cologuardtest.com/hcp/about-cologuard/performance-effectiveness

This is the information you get from Colonguard. I was wanting an expert opinion as to their accuracy. I was told
that you can have a false positive and there be nothing. So are you saying that if the test is positive that there is
something?

chance for false positive is very low, less than 13%

87% specificity means only 13% risks for false positive.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

You asked for a different expert

Your initial posting seemed to have been cut off in half sentence

You were saying you had talked.......?

I was told by an gasterlogist that he said he gets false positive quite a bit, and more than likely it's nothing.
Is that a true statement?

Did he suggest a colonoscopy?

I am really nervous about this whole thing. I just would like to know
Yes
I do know I had a hemmeroid at the time.

I too have seen many false positives with Cologuard

But the only way I knew they were false positives is when the patient had a colonoscopy that was completely clear

I understand your concern here but just because your test was positive doesn't at all mean you have colon cancer

But since it's a screen for possible colon cancer, a colonoscopy is required when the test was positive

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you