Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I stopped taking my Effexor about a week ago and still

Customer Question
I stopped taking my...

I stopped taking my Effexor about a week ago and still having brain zaps how long will they last

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No and None

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/12/2018
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Effexor should be cleared from your system in a little over 24 hours, so what you are experiencing is not likely to be from the Effexor. Do you take any other medications?

no I do not
unable to pay for a phone call at this time
what do you think it is

phone request is automatic, which you can ignore.

When you use the term "brain zaps" are you referring to memory lapse?

no a jolt (zap) current that I feel in my brain that almost feels like I can faint
are you still there

This may be a combination of anxiety/depression which was being treated with the Effexor. Why was it stopped? You may have needed an increased dose rather than stopping it.

unable to pay for it

I'm sorry to hear that. You can discuss getting assistance from the manufacturer through your doctor. Pharmaceutical companies usually offer discounts if you qualify. Or, your doctor can prescribe another medication that will help you and will be affordable. Please call and discuss with your doctor, it sounds like you do need some relief which medication can provide.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

still unsure, I get that you are recommending that I need to continue the medication and I am saying that I want off of it. But my original question was about the brain zaps

I am going to opt out so another expert can possibly be of more assistance to you.

great
another time spent getting no where.