Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been having trouble swallowing the last few. weeks. I…

I've been having trouble swallowing...
I've been having trouble swallowing the last few. weeks. I can't seem to swallow my food and it feels like a lump or something in the right side of my throat that makes the food stick and feels like I'm choking and can't get air. It's getting worst now
3/12/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

What is your age and sex?

Do you get heart burn with this?

Thank you very much for useful information.

Most likely cause for this is Gastro-esophageal Reflux; which can give rise to one of these symptoms like heart burn, nausea, vomiting, difficulty swallowing etc.

Other causes include zenkers diverticulum (an abnormal pouch formation in the pharyngeal wall), esophageal webs (as occur in iron deficiency) or a mass obstructing the passage of food.

As per standard guidelines, you need to have this examined by your doctor, who can recommend barium swallow studies, or if needed, an esophago-gastroscopy (endoscopy) must be done to rule out any serious possibility like a cancer.

Till then, you can try Prilosec (available over the counter) which will help if the current symptoms are due to reflux.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am female and 39 years old. Sometimes I have heartburn. Now when I'm trying to eat it makes me vomit. Even liquid is difficult now. I'm terrified it may be cancer like my father. I'm waiting to see a ear nose and throat specialist but not for four weeks. I've tried to get an earlier appointment but they say the clinic is all booked up. I'm frightened if it is cancer it may be too late to do anything by then but can't get appointment

Honestly, 4 weeks is not a long time as you do not have any alarming/red flag symptoms like bloody vomiting; severe weight loss etc.

At your age, the chances of cancer are least likely, but for sure we need to investigate this further.

Stay relaxed, and try Prilosec till this is evaluated. In the absence of any other systemic symptoms, this appears least likely to be related to cancer.

Good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm really frightened it could be cancer and it'll be too late but I'm not sure how to get earlier appointment
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm even afraid to eat now

I can only reassure you, but if you can not wait, the only option is to go to ER and try an urgent evaluation.

But I strongly doubt they will do it in ER or urgently as according to guidelines, you are not candidate for emergency scope.

But yes, they can request barium swallow initially and this can answer many questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've tried A&E but they didn't run any tests. I'm desperate. Thank you

Stay relaxed, I still will not consider cancer as the likely possibility in your case.

Thanks for visiting JA!

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor