Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had an EKG done and the cardiologist seemed

completely unbothered and reassured by...
I recently had an EKG done and the cardiologist seemed completely unbothered and reassured by the results. I am a 30 year old female. However, the results were uploaded to my health portal and I am wondering if someone could interpret them for me and let me know if I should seek a second opinion.If it makes any difference I was INCREDIBLY nervous during the EKG.
The doctor actually told me to “come back in 50 years” and that “the most abnormal thing about your results is how normal they are” - based on this and 48-hour holter monitor results
3/12/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually, i believe you are worried about the report saying that there are borderline irregularities in the EKG and that you have sinus tachycardia. Well, these are changes which you should NOT be worried about at all. First of all, we physicians NEVER rely on automated EKG reports, which is what this report is. This is because the automated EKG reports are inaccurate in 99% of the cases, the EKG is a complex thing to read and there are many MANY normal variations which have to be kept in mind when interpreting the results. This is why machines are never accurate in giving us a report.

Now regarding the report, sinus tachycardia is actually a fancy way of saying that your heart was beating faster than normal during the EKG which is VERY likely due to the stress that you were under at that time. The heart rate is not unusual and we usually see this heart rate in patients who are anxious. This is a completely normal finding for patients in your age group.

The T wave abnormalities in three leads are actually normal as well. They don't fulfill the criteria for T wave inversions and secondly, this is one of the normal variations which I was talking about earlier. I would not be worried about these changes at all especially given your age. In fact, the T wave inversions which the report states are present in three leads are actually not there in two of them and it is just because of the rapid heart rate that the machine is picking up on them as inversions.

So, in short, I would classify this as being a NORMAL EKG and I would not be worried at all. I don't believe you need a second opinion based on just this EKG.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Does that EKG rule out anything serious like afib or cardiomyopathy?
it does there is absolutely no evidence of atrial fibrillation or any types of cardiomyopathies. As I said this is a normal EKG.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Thank you.