Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 42 years old. I was diagnosed with Celiac two years…

Hello, I am 42 years old...
I am 42 years old. I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago. The doctors were reluctant to test me for it because I was overweight, but I was insistent. I have now been two years gluten free but I am still dealing with a lot of the same issues. I still have bloating, stomach pain, tiredness and sometimes swollen joints. I am mostly vegetarian - though I will occasionally eat cheese and eggs. I can't seem to lose weight at all even when avoiding most processed foods. I will eat rice cakes and sometimes gluten free bread products. I have begun to get eczema and my hair is falling out a lot. I don't fel well and I'm not sure what to do. It was such a long process to even get this diagnosis to begin with - I'm wondering if there is something I am overlooking. Any suggestions for what I can do to get back to a healthier me?
3/13/2018
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Have you been tested for any other types of endocrine diseases? Particularly, thyroid disease?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
although my thyroid has fluctuated it’s within. ***** *****mits and I had an ultrasound of it and it was ok

How about cortisol?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t had a cortisol Test- I didn’t know you could check that

Yes, it is a blood test. You should also test for the inflammatory disease with inflammatory proteins.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which inflammatory disease?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know my crp was very high the last time it was checked. It has gone down though since getting the celiac under co tril
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
control

Not one in particular. You just checked inflammatory proteins to see if there is an underlying inflammatory disease. They are called ESR and CRP. You can also check in ANA which is indicative of inflammatory disease, Particularly lupus.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe I had all of those checked when I was trying to diagnose my celiac symptoms. Should I get them done again?

Have you had eczema before? Have you been teaching your scout more than usual? I would recheck all your bloodwork including inflammatory markers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t had eczema before- I don’t know what teaching your scout is-
I’ll get them rechechecked.
It meant to say itching your scalp? I’m not sure how it auto corrected to that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh- then yes- I’ve had it by scalp a long time
Do you have other medical problems that can be Contributing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well right now I’m out of work because I got hit by a drunk driver. I had whiplash, concussion, two herniated discs in my neck, nerve damage in my arm and leg, and I e been dealing with BPPV, vertigo, and am in vestibular PT to fix those issues. The therapist thinks most of the dizziness issues stem from my neck. I’ve always been hypoglycemic and anemic. The lower half of my body is always freezing g cold, I have reynauds.
What type of medications are you taking now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
None- just iron, b12, vitamins

It sounds like your eczema is really bad and involving your hair. Eczema can make your hair fall out. You definitely need to seek treatment from a dermatologist

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Scott, Doctor
Dr. Scott, Doctor