Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a some sort of rash next to my nose for weeks now…

I have had a...

I have had a some sort of rash next to my nose for weeks now that is not healing. I have tried everything from Peroxide to essential oils to rubbing alcohol to triple antibiotic ointment. Nothing is helping. The little bumps are crusted over in morning but ooze clear liquid & bleed if scabs are taken off. I’m worried about staph. It’s spreading the last couple days. Can you diagnose with a picture?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

No breathing problems. About 1 1/2 months.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It came on right after I had a cold for the second time this year. We had been in Mexico in January & returned with colds. I had the cold twice.

3/12/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Please post your photo for me on this page

Did you get pics?

Got them--hold on please

Did you have chickenpox as a child?

I’m thinking staph.
They scab over at night but then ooze & bled when scab comes off
I had severe chicken pox as a child
Can I get a prescription from you ?

No, not staph

That's typical shingles and you can only get that if you've had chickenpox in the past

The antibiotic ointment won't work for that

You need to see your doctor for a prescription for oral acyclovir to clear it

Let me know if you need any more information, but we don't give prescriptions here--that would be both illegal and malpractice

Hello

Did you get my answer above?

Ciprofloxacin won’t work?

No--that's an antibiotic and not an antiviral medication

You need the acyclovir

Ok

Let me know if you need any more information

Why do you think it’s shingles? If it was wouldn’t I have other symptoms? Is there any home remedies?

It simply looks exactly like shingles

At home you can use topical capsaicin cream and Eucerin lotion half an hour later three times a day

Will it go away without taking oral anti-viral meds?

Yes in time shingles does go away

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you