Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If you take 58 5 mg melatonin pills, is that enough to kill…

Customer Question
If you take 58...

If you take 58 5 mg melatonin pills, is that enough to kill you? What I know is how long does it take to die from an overdose of melatonin pills?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No, I'm not allergic to anything. I take supplements.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/12/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually so far there has not been documented evidence of melatonin causing death despite of the amount of the drug used. Yes, there have been documented episodes of it causing serious side effects such as seizures, excessive sedation, irregular heart beats and low blood pressure and those side effects have been documented to occur when doses between 1000 - 5000 mg have been used. Using 58 5 mg pills comes to a total dose of 290 mg which is well under the doses which have been found to cause serious side effects. It is unlikely that a person will die because of using this dose. The only way this dose would cause serious side effects would be if the person already had underlying problems such as breathing difficulties due to COPD or asthma or an underlying heart condition, in that situation this dose may be dangerous. But otherwise, a dose of 58 pills is unlikely to cause death. It will definitely cause a person fall unconscious and remain unconscious for 12-24 hours but death is unlikely.

Do you have any other questions? we can discuss this further if you need more clarifications.