Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a friend whose 24 year old son is a recovered heroine…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend whose 24 year old son is a recovered heroine addict. He has now been diagnosed with a ? terminal disease called a-amycoidis/ They have prescribed chemo therapy! Only his live is affected so far, but what is this disease and is this the correct procedure for treatment?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Sincerely, [email protected]***********.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It is her son's medical problem and the above is all I know about his condition. Sincerely ***** ***** Chastain

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/12/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I believe he has been diagnosed with Amyloidosis (which is of two types, AA and AL).

This is a disease in which there is abnormal deposition of protein fibrils in the tissues which result in a wide range of clinical manifestations depending upon their type, location, and the amount of deposition.

There are many causes for Amyloidosis and usually the treatment is directed towards the underlying cause for amyloidosis.

Also the other treatments are recommended to dissolve away the abnormal amyloid deposits which include number of drugs which are used as chemo/immunotherapy.

I am not sure, which drug he has been prescribed, as the list is long, but yes this is true that the treatment of Amyloidosis include chemical agents.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for his good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.