Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My ultrasound came back as smooth contour of liver surface,

all organs normal except for...
My ultrasound came back as smooth contour of liver surface, all organs normal except for gallstones. Bile ducts good. No lesions to be seen on liver, portal flow normal and portal vein not distended. However my liver echotexture is somewhat coarsened consistant with cirrhosis. Spleen normal. He hadn't even seen my bloodwork! My GGT is 45; elevated. I think everything else was ok except for high cholesterol and gallstones which were brought on by cholestasis in my twin pregnancy 27 years ago. Unfortunately no one told me not to drink alcohol back then. I did and for the last 5/6 years I've been drinking heavily due to work anxiety, malignant melanoma and other anxiety provoking incidents. I abstained from alcohol for 24 years while my 3 children grew up or else I doubt they would have received 2 University degrees & had a happy childhood. I have a fibroscan booked this Wednesday. I am very scared because the clinical diagnosis is cirrhosis. I live in Australia. I am so ashamed but it seems the damage has been done so I've let them down again. My family dont drink, nor do my parents or grandparents.i believe I drank to ease anxiety, though passed out - humiliating and couldn't get out of the cycle. I haven't drank alcohol since November 2017 nor do I ever intend to.. It has been easy giving up and I don't crave it at all. Now I doubt I'll live to my parents' ages, 95 and 90 and still living at home. My grandmother passed at 102. The worst thing is the pain I've caused my husband and adult children. I wish I knew then that a liver, once cirrhotic can't regenerate. Thank you for your help.
3/12/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Let me at the outset tell you that you should neither scared nor anxious.

Firstly liver has enormous physiological reserves. So with your liver enzymes being normal (GGT of 45 has not much clinical significance at all); there is no problem.

Secondly liver has regenerative power which no organ in our body has. Since you have stopped drinking there is high likelihood that some of the changes would reverse atleast physiologically, if not anatomically or morphologically.

GGT has a low predictive value (32%) for hepatobiliary (liver and bile) disease, as it is present in numerous body compartments, including kidney tubules, pancreas (ductules and acinar cells), heart, lung, and brain.

Other clinical conditions in which GGT elevation has been reported are;

1) diabetes mellitus,
2) hyperthyroidism,
3) rheumatoid arthritis, and
4) chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

In addition, normal GGT levels have been reported in more than 35% of people who consume more than 80 g of alcohol per day and still it is normal.
Thus with all this discussion, I hope, your anxiety would resolve.

Do not see too much in the investigations. If you are feeling good, with your genetics and family history of longevity, there is no worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Thank you so much for that. I didn't see the rest of the boodwork because my doctor took it and even though I requested to take it to the Hepatologist with my ultrasounds she refused. Why should my liver have a somewhat coarsened echotexture and be consistent with cirrhosis. This eludes me and is a very harsh final diagnosis to put on paper as a clinical diagnosis.. My blood was slightly raised in other areas but I think (I hardly saw the bloodwork) it was in normal range. I hope then my fibroscan will be ok. Thank you so, so much. I am never using alcohol as a crutch again regardless of the outcome. You are helping to allay my fears and I thank you most sincerely. To see one's 31 year old son holding back sobs (he came with me) when the GP read the outcome was heartwrenching and something that I'll never forget. I am never drinking alcohol again. I will cry. I am having psychological help for the guilt I feel for my loving family. Thank you once again. *****

You are very welcome.

Your fibroscan, I am sure will resolve your anxiety.

You are looking too much in the report and it is just a possibility and not a final or conclusive diagnosis.

I can assure you, you would be fine.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just want to say thamk you again Dr Arun Phophalia because I have been crying every day and you have made me feel so much better. You explained things that I could not find on the internet....... or else I discovered horrendous outcomes for my condition. My children, as teenagers told me that I was the best mum in the world and that they had the best childhood. The guilt when I drank was more than I could bear because I knew I was letting them down. Now, if/when I have grandchildren I'm going to be that person again. I really cannot thank you enough and i wish YOU all the best as well. Sincerest and most appreciative thanks to you.
M.

You are most welcome, *****.

Your investigations are not bad at all.

Just relax.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Just letting you know Dr Phophalia that my fibroscan came back as only 3.3. You were so right. Not only that you were very kind and polite. I should have asked you weeks ago instead of upsetting my family. It is with sincere gratitude that I wish the very best for doctors such as yourself. I had a very rude response on another forum a few months ago from another doctor so I was apprehensive when I asked you my question. I need not have been. At least you gave me one happy night. As I said, you were spot on and I cant thank you enough. Best wishes to you and your family for a long and happy life. Thank you and with kind and happy regards, ***** ***** diagnosing correctly, *****. ����

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rate you 10 stars now, not 5!!!!

You are most welcome, *****.

I am so happy for you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thanks for your kind words and taking time for this update.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Sorry, yes I have finished and rated 5 stars and gave an extra $AU11. I actually rated you 10 stars even though there was not a 10 rating. If I wish to speak to you later when I get my bloodwork back - I have gallstones and high cholesterol though am slim but had a twin pregnancy including cholestasis. A lot of bloods were taken and if I have any queries about any of them may I request you by name again please? I am willing to pay the $AU 75 for the next time. I'm not sure when they will be avaiailable but I'm sure to have questions as my GP is not forthcoming. She doesn't even tell me my blood pressure. I have to ask, then she just says it's ok, not what the reading is. Anyway besides that, I will have the bloodwork coming so if it's alright to request yourself, you are my choice on this forum. Thank you. *****.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just read terms and conditions. I will start my free trial then pay AU $73 a month next time when my extensive bloodwork comes back or pay the $73AU a month as I've already had a few days trial anyway. I am happy to begin paying the $73 when I ask my next question and I can assure you I will be needing help as I dont go back to my specialist until August and the lab will be sending the first round of bloods that my GP confiscated and wouldnt let me take to the specialist. He was not impressed as he only had my ultrasound to go on at that stage! So the lab will be sending this first set as well as sending more bloodwork that was done a few days ago to my Specialist this time ........ and before handing them over to my GP after my specialist sees them I will photocopy them or I will never see them again as she will keep them. Would you please list my name as my initial M? Even with the previous messages? Can this be done now or do I have to read about how to do it or are the written questions final? I think I'd better start reading. Kind regards M.

Mitchelle,

You can start a new question or you can accept the premium service which I am proposing on this thread. The finance matter are seen by the customer support so we do not know the exact arrangement between the site and customer.

It is a great pleasure and privilege interacting you.

You can post a new question starting it with, "For Dr. Arun."

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't need your help at the moment but definitely will when I see my first blood test which my GP took. I've ordered a copy from the lab. The second one was more extensive but that goes to my specialist and he will go over it with me, though I will be asking for your help then too as sometimes it's too hard to take in. I'll be taking copies of the second, before my GP gets hold of it, just to look at as well as compare but I really like to know what is going on health wise. I'll be asking about my husband & son too
Husband has Hypothyroidism if that's the underactive disease and not Hyper and I'm hoping that same GP is treating him accordingly. Therefore I'll need your input on that as well. I've suggested a different doc but he days he feels well...but hope she's testing appropriately too. I think it said you'd be reimbursed for my questions (I certainly hope so). I will write a review, I thought I had already but may not have. I have no medical issues till the 1st blood test is sent, then I definitely will have some. So it could be a week unless it comes by email as we are going on holiday. Thank you so much. M. (as opposed to my name, which again I should have thought about or read the terms & conditions. All the best. Will write revirw now.

Okay.

Looking forward,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
I've already given you a 5 star rating but it wouldn't let me write a review in the space provided. I will try again but Im due to go out so if I can't manage it, it will be this evening. Hope this is ok. M.

Yes, please write review whenever you find time.

I really appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are very kind and accommodating. M

Thanks *****.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor