Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 72 year old widow who lost her husband just about a…

Customer Question
I am a 72...

I am a 72 year old widow who lost her husband just about a year ago after caring for him at home for 7 plus years of Alzheimers. It seems after that I feel apart, literally i.e. viruses that could not be given a name other that "virus"' which took away my hearing totally in left ear. That was in October 2017. I have been living with Afib for years and have had 5 conversions (during caring for husband- 2 ) which lasted for about 2 years on Amiorodon , then in end of this past year it started again and since that time have had 3 more conversions which have not lasted. I am scheduled for consult with Cardiologist at UMSS Medical here in Worcester, MA - tomorrow an I know he will be recommending an ablation and I am so very scared! Not of dying but of having a stroke during procedure. My blood pressure is perfect i.e. 120/65 - but resting heart beat 110 plus and if I go up and down stairs 165 plus. It is an effort to shower an/or do anything as I get so winded. Please help me - hopefully you can calm my fears. Thank you Sue

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

On my side there is only 1 (grandfather) all the rest Cancer. As to my health right now- am always exhausted - have severe disc disease --- L3, L4, L5 and then into your S's!! Severe pain constantly - but have learned to live with it. Have do everything possible for this problem with 3 doctor's opinions all - all of which - operate --- which they would have to go thru stomach and back - I would not agree to this as it meant having to put my husband in a nursing home and after 52 years of being together - just could not do it. My weight is good. Did have total knee replacement last year (which is good) and was scheduled for right knee - as it is bone on bone! And then came AFIB

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

For several years as being a care giver suffered by high blood pressure which was (forgive me) a bitch to get under control - switching to so many different medications. Right now high Anxiety, Still on H.P. pressure meds along with Eliquis - and of course thyroid. At the moment - think that should do it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/12/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your husband and your afib.

that is a good cardiology department.

your fatigue symptoms could get better if you are able to get out of afib

you don't have to be scared of having a stroke.

are you on blood thinners now for your afib?

Thank you, ***** ***** - Yes I am on Eliquis - and have been for sometime.
Dr. David - I am leaving shortly as I have to have labs done. I will be back home around noon (Massachusetts) time at which time maybe I can call - since the loss of my husband, I am on a very limited budget! Sue

you have to accept additional phone consultation service fees to talk by phone if you wish to talk