Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Took 60 my of prednisone 7 hours too early. Am being treated…

Customer Question
Took 60 my of...

Took 60 my of prednisone 7 hours too early. Am being treated for pneumonia.

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed prednisone? How severe were any side effects?

I

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about pneumonia?

Yesterday but took first round at 7am today

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am on medications to strengthen my heart. Was 30 percent of but is now 50ef. Am taking 6.25mg og coreg twice daily. Also on cholostral

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/12/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your pneumonia. Actually using prednisone 7 hours too early would not lead to a serious issue at all. There is a general myth that if the prednisone is not taken at a specific time it will not be effective at all, this is not true. Yes, the effectiveness would not be as good as it would have been if it was taken early morning or early evening but it will still act on your body to reduce inflammation. The main reason prednisone is prescribed early in the morning or in the evening is to coincide with the body's normal release of cortisol. Using it at those times would augment the cortisol response, however, this is primarily done when we are using prednisone to supplement the adrenal glands in conditions like Addison's disease. In other situations, like the pneumonia that you have, using it at other times would NOT cause any issues whatsoever.

In your case, i would say that you do NOT repeat the dose after 7 hours and instead use your next dose of prednisone as prescribed tomorrow at the scheduled time.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!