Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the symptoms of gout and what does it look like?

Customer Question
What are the symptoms...

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No, there just has been pain for the last couple of days and what looks like a bruised big toe. I take aspirin for arthritis and insulin for diabetes.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain started just in the last three days at most. I am not doing anything for it except to keep it clean and dry.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

There does not seem to be anything else to mention except I am 70, never had this issue before and I only weigh 168 pounds.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/12/2018
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Do have associated swelling, redness, tenderness on the toe?

Any history of an injury?

Please upload a picture to review.

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tenderness on the toe behind the nail, could be an injury that I didn't realize I had. I don't have a cell phone so I can't take a picture/
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks but no thanks.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.
We can continue our conversation now through text in this reply forum.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, possible causes may include Gout, Paronychia - a soft tissue infection around a nail.

Acute gout attacks are characterized by a rapid onset of pain in the affected joint followed by warmth, swelling, reddish discoloration, and marked tenderness. The small joint at the base of the big toe is the most common site for an attack.

Now you should soak your foot in warm water with betadine solution for 15 minutes twice a day.

Also, take OTC Motrin and Claritin.

Wear loose-fitting shoes or slippers.

Apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with Bacitracin ointment.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids, lemon juice.

Take specific diet for gout-https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/...and...eating/in.../gout-diet/art-2004852...

If your symptoms will persist then see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor