Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I received the MMR vaccine after delivering my baby. Could…

I received the MMR vaccine...
I received the MMR vaccine after delivering my baby. Could this be a reaction from the vaccine? It was about 5 weeks ago and have been having outbreaks since then all over my body. I assume that even though the vaccine is live and if I had a reaction to it I wouldn’t be contagious?
3/12/2018
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

are these lesions itching ?

Do you have fever ?

IS there dryness over the area?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are very itchy...a dermatologist told me that they look to be hives. Likely an allergic reaction from something I was given during my hospital stay for my csection. One of those things was the MMR vaccine. Everything else I had before with my first csection.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No fever, a little dry
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they have spread over my whole body, they only thing that clears them up and stops them is Prednisone

Thank you for the information provided.

These look like allergic reaction as they respond as you mentioned to Prednisone.

These are not urticarial . This is called Pityriasis rosea like eruption to Vaccines which is seen on our clinical practice.

You can treat it with topical application of:

Aveeno skin repair cream daily on the area

Clean the area with Cetaphil cleansing lotion for sensitive skin .

Use 1 % Hydrocortisone cream on the area twice a day for 10 days.

take Claritine once at night for 10 days in case of itching.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is from the MMR vaccine likely? Also - how long does it take to go away? It’s been 5 weeks already.Would I be contagious if from the vaccine?

This can take 5 to 12 weeks to go away .

This is a reactive inflammation . It is not contagious

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
normal to be over the whole body?

Yes , since it is a reactive inflammation it does affect the entire body

It is an immunological reaction . The defence system of your body over reacts and hence this erupts on the body.

It is temporary and nothing to worry

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
These are some other pictures
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chest
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Side

Yes , the lesions are the same every where with mild scaling.

Please continue as mentioned.

I have released the rating service application on your page .

Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician