Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For the past 5 days my calf and ankle are red and swollen-

For the past 5...

For the past 5 days my calf and ankle are red and swollen- itchy

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

Ibhavd had gout in the past but this foes not feel like gout,gout affected the joints this is going on for 5 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

High cholesterol, type 2 diabtes- tkr on 9/27/17

3/12/2018
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Are both the ankles affected?

How old are you? What medicines are you on?

Were you outside walking or being active without shoes?

Have you recently started using a new lotion?

Please understand my question
It is my left calf and and ankle, it is swollen and red .i take insulin , REQUIP , fenofibrate, I am 55 years old. Have not been outside walking without shoes . I live in NYC

Thank you for a reply.

A swollen and itchy calf and ankle can be due to minor causes like contact dermatitis or a mild infection.

But it can also be due to a blood clot in a superficial vein of the calf.

People who are diabetic are at high risk for infections.

But please consult your doctor as early as possible for a scan on the leg to rule out a blood clot.

I hope this helped.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating ( 5 stars) to leave feedback.

Thank you.

Cancel and do not charge me. No longer interested

Please consult customer service at Justanswer.com

Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor