Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Recently, i have found that, while in a doze right before…

Hi. yes....

Hi. yes. recently, i have found that, while in a doze right before true sleep, i sometimes open & snap my jaw shut super quick & very hard. i have bitten down on my tongue multiple times due to this. wanted to know if this is something other people have experienced or if there's a name for it...

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None. just the jaw snapping...

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diabetic? anxiety disorder & depression. obese.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Just since late last year. i don't tend to sleep well. when my sleep is more jacked up, i do it. when i sleep, i don't. it seems that way, anyway.

3/12/2018
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor

Hi

Welcome to just answer

I am Dr Gupta, board certified and practicing since the last 16 years

There can a lot of reasons for jaw clenching and tongue biting

- commonest is teeth grinding. Teeth grinding itself can occur due to various reasons like stress, restless sleep etc. While grinding teeth the jaw can snap shut and one can bite the tongue

- sleep apnea - When one is sleeping, tongue can get completely relaxed, it can fall back in the throat or fall in between teeth. This can hinder air flow, leading to sudden jerky movements resulting in tongue biting

- other causes are seizures, rhythmic movement disorder

All the above conditions have treatments. I would recommend you to consult your regular doctor for a detailed evaluation to know the exact cause and further treatment accordingly.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Regards

Are any of these possibilities more likely than the others? As far as i know or have been told professionally by drs or dentists, i haven't grinded my teeth historically. I have suffered with insomnia (& possibly anxiety disorder) since childhood, but have only been diagnosed within the past 8 years or so. I've been over weight since about the age of 20 (I'm now 40). I HAVE, within the past 10 years, discovered that, while in the same state of dozing or extreme exhaustion, I tend to make odd vocalizations. Not quite moaning, not quite grunting. That's involuntary also, just like the sudden biting. But, i have NOT EVER noticed any other movements; no rocking, no jerking, nothing like that. And this sudden biting isn't repetitive, as far as I'm AWARE. It will happen, & I will become fully alert from dozing, completely freaked out.

Thanks for the further information.

No need to worry, seizures and repeated movements do not go with your symptoms. The cause in your case seems most likely anxiety. Patients of anxiety might not go into the deep sleep and due to restlessness can end up with tongue biting. If you are not on medicines for anxiety, I would recommend you to consult your doctor for the same. Regular exercise also helps in reducing restless sleep. In fact, doing relaxing breathing exercises regularly usually helps a lot.

Regards

Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor