Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My Mother was diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera last January…

Customer Question
My Mother was diagnosed...

My Mother was diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera last January and died of metastic lung cancer February 2018. I am pursuing litigation for failure to treat.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary emoboli in 2014.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/11/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about the loss of your mother

it sounds like she as battling a lot of health and cancer issues.

sometimes it can be very difficult to treat a lung cancer with polycythemia vera.

we are doctors here to answer medical questions

what is your medical question?

if you want to talk to lawyers, we have them here at JustAnswers in another section

My question is, she was diagnosed with polycythemia vera last year. Her primary care physician completed a one time phlebotomy once to clear her for hip surgery and there was no other treatment. She died of metastic lung cancer a year later. Is this acceptable standards of practice for the disease?

I am sorry she died of metastatic lung cancer a year later.

it sounds like you are not over that

her lung cancer should have been picked up sooner

but many times, lung cancer can grow and spread very silently with minimal symptoms and no signs.

did she smoke before? smoking can increase risks for developing lung cancer.

I can't review all of her medical records so I can't say if this is acceptable or not

My mother died two weeks ago. Your right Im not over it. Yes she was a smoker, a very heavy smoker.

you should have her primary care doctor or a lawyer review her medical records and see if the treatment was proper or not

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com