Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am trying to figure out if I have a hemorrhoid or

I am trying to...

I am trying to figure out if I have a hemorrhoid or something else

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Nothing of the sort, I went out drinking a few nights ago and then next morning felt the lump. I can touch it and yesterday the swelling was subsiding but today it has infmalled again. I think it was bc I took pre workout and went on a run

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

2 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing

3/11/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

Is there any bleeding?

Fever?

no bleeding, no fever

Thank you.

Most likely this is a hemorrhoid (external) with some inflammation.

Other possibility is of perianal abscess, or an inflamed peri-anal skin tag.

Honestly, only a clinical examination will give us an exact answer, but for all these conditions, following measures will be helpful at home;

Can use Tylenol or Motrin for pain control and inflammation

Sitz bath (sitting in luke warm water daily 3-4 times for 15 minutes after adding small amount of antiseptic)

Keep the affected area clean

And avoid constipation (use fibres or movicol)

If the symptoms persist, do not improve or get worse, then it will be an indication to have this examined soon.

Was it helpful?

what type of antiseptic should be used. There is no pain when using the bathroom or sitting. I can just feel it is there. Also I was drinking the night before and when I woke up I had this but I have no recollection of even using the bathroom that night, how could this be from just drinking alcohol. Which there have been plenty of time when more was consumed and not his remotely came of it as this.

This is clearly not related to alcohol intake.

Sometimes, it can happen spontaneously that a small sized pre-existing hemorrhoid gets enlarged over night due to pressure, infection or inflammation; and you don't recall and other symptom previously.

You can use Povidone-Iodine solution.

Hopefully this should settle with the measures i have told you, but if doesn't, then yes you need to have this examined by your doctor.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Is that or somethinglike a preparation h going to cause the it to deflate? Or is it just time and doing everything not to strain it?
Also, is it safe to workout or run ?

This solution will prevent further infection, will have soothing effect, and keep the area clean.

This will reduce the inflammation and hence will reduce the size.

There is no harm in running but avoid exercise where you have to strain a lot and which put pressure on abdomen.

Thank you, ***** ***** ok to follow up in a few days ?

Sure.

Thanks for visiting JA!

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor