Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Every muscle in my body hurts whenever I use/move them. The…

Every muscle in my...

Every muscle in my body hurts whenever I use/move them. The only time this happened was when I was deficient in vitamin D but I’ve had that tested and the doctor says my vitamin D level is fine. What else could it be?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I’ve had it for about 2 weeks now, and nothing makes it better or worse. If I’m perfectly still, they’re fine. But as soon as I move any muscle, it hurts and burns

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My blood calcium is a little elevated

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

Since how long do you have this problem?

Any medications you take regularly?

I’ve had it about 2 weeks now. I take Estradiol and Atorvistatin. I was taking vitamiin D but just stopped that a couple of days ago. I also take a multivitamin and krill oil. My blood calcium is slightly elevated as well.
I did have a vitamin D deficiency in 2009 and my muscles felt exactly like they do now, but my tests show my vitamin D is fine. So I’m very confused. I thought sure that’s what it was.
Are you still there?

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Its reassuring that vitamin D levels are normal, which is the commonest cause for muscle aches.

At this point, I will suggest further evaluation in terms of doing muscle enzymes like CK, which are raised in muscle inflammation.

In your case, Atorvastatin, could be the cause as this drug is notorious to cause myalgias and muscle inflammation.

Even if you have been taking this drug for long, still this can happen at any time.

Even though I’ve been taking it for about 3 years with no muscles issues?

Other causes for muscle inflammation and pain include viral infections, autoimmune diseases and muscle injury (exercise).

I see. So I should ask for what type of test or tests to determine?

Yes, still the chances of atorvastatin to be the cause for this are there.

You should ask your to investigate you further for myalgias, which at first place include CPK, LDH and Aldolase levels (muscle enzymes).

If this is elevated, then further tests are done as needed like EMG or muscle biopsy and other blood tests for connective tissue diseases.

You can use Tylenol or Motrin for pain relief for the time being.

Good hydration is must.

And have this evaluated soon.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

I felt it coming on gradually, at the same time I came down with a UTI. I took cephalexin for it. The fever went away and my urine was then clear, but it still feels like I have some type of issue

Can be viral infection, which is the third commonest cause for these symptoms after vitamin d deficiency and drugs.

But the first step is to document muscle inflammation by blood tests and then proceed further.

I was diagnosed with a UTI at the minute clinic and they prescribed the cephalexin. I went into the doctor a few days later because I was still having spasms as if I still had the UTI. But the urine tested clear and she even did a vaginal exam and that was also clear.
they have still not gone away. And now my muscle pain has gotten progressively worse over the last two weeks.

UTI or vaginal infection is unrelated to this.

Oh OK, I didn’t know if that would have been one of the viral infections you were talking about

Viral illness can present with few symptoms, or some times with no symptoms at all.

OK, any idea why I would still be having spasms in my urinary tract at this point?

This happens whenever you are recovering from a urinary tract inflammation; like one feel spasms when recovering from diarrhea.

Its a natural reflex and recovery mechanism.

Even after two weeks?
I’ve never had spasms last this long after a UTI or a bladder infection.

Can happen at times. And if there are some urine changes again then might be recurrence of UTI (but in the absence of fever or urinary symptoms seems unlikely).

OK

Good luck.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor