Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just took my blood pressure reading at home, and it was…

I just took my...

I just took my blood pressure reading at home, and it was 96/58. Seems low, as my normal blood pressure is in the 115-125/70-80 range. Yesterday it was 102/60. I have been feeling lightheaded/dizzy for a few days, and have been experiencing a lot of fatigue in the past couple of months. I am 53 yo, and weigh 179. Perimenopausal and have gained about 20 lbs in the past two years. Do not get a lot of exercise. Have a few life stressors right now. Take a statin for high cholesteral. Should I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My father had a heart attack when he was my age, and his father died of some kind of heart disease at a similar age, so obviously that is concerning. Overall my health is very good...I am overweight - never thought I'd even hit 170 much less 180 - and have been experiencing some pretty pronounced mood swings. Dealing with heavy workload/taking graduate classes and aging parents so not a lot of time for much else. But I have not slept really well consistently for at least a year (I do use a CPAP) - never feel rested when I wake up. But no major health issues that I'm aware of. I did have a pretty thorough cardiac assessment about 6 years ago, and had a sonogram of my carotid arteries about 4 years ago and all was fine.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Have been treated for anxiety/depression for several years - that has always been in issue for me. Currently coming off of Prozac and starting Effexor

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

Aside from the statin and the prozac/effexor, do you take any other medications? Have you been eating and drinking appropriately? Any nausea/vomiting or diarrhea recently?

Also, can you measure your pulse? How is that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do take Zyrtecx daily, as well as an 81 mg aspirin daily. I just started using a prebiotic 2 days ago and take a multivitamin as well as a 400 mcg (i think-it is a low dose) Vitamin D supplement. The other significant development is i have had swelling in my ankles and legs, and just in the past couple of days in my hands. Some could be allergy related as I do have som tree grass and flower allergies. My diet is ok, not great. I have a busy job and taking graduate classes, so we do eat a lot of takeout. I try to get salads or chicken sandwiches, but sometimes its just a quarter pounder and french fries. I'm sure i eat too much sugar have a very sweet tooth. I sdont really like water so i probably don't drink enough. My last pulse reading was 74 bpm

OK, that pulse is reassuring. Your blood pressure is NOT significantly low, but lightheadedness/dizziness as well as the swelling in your ankles and legs is not usually normal. Your low blood pressure may be related to your stress as well as your low water intake so try to stay more hydrated today. If the lightheadedness persists or if you begin to feel like you are going to faint you should see a doctor today. However, if that goes away you can probably wait to see a doctor some time this week. You will need a physical exam and may need some lab tests done. Let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thank you.

My pleasure. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do that, thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I rate you? Don't seem to have access to the ratings right now? They are "grayed out"

Should be there now. Thanks.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Dr. A
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD