Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had acute liver poisoning back in sept/ oct. I suffered…

I had acute liver...

I had acute liver poisoning back in sept/ oct. I suffered from HE and had high amonia levels for God knows how long. I was cofused. Couldnt rememeber anything. Extreme fatigue. Slurring words. I was treated w lactulose and my liver ast and alt came back to normal. However i have had continued loss of short term memory and now i have a hard time recollecting. Im always tired. I had an MRI which was normal. Im so scared. And i know im depressed. But the memory issues give me great anxiety and fear that i have Alzheimer's. This all started w the HE.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Ive seen my regular dr who ordered the recent mri. It was done without dye. Im on no meds. Im 41.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My reg dr says stress/ hormonal.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Can you please tell me more about your present memory problems?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It feels just like the HE but my amonia levels are normal. Ive had them tested several times. They think the poisoning was from cleaning products. My viat D level was an 11. I was seen at Cleveland Clinic. I am always tired. I havent slept through the nite for 10 months. Currently ill get a thought in my head and it will be gone. Example. I should wash the dishes. 2 seconds later. What the hell do i need to do ? Then i have trouble recollecting. If i calm myself i can usually retrieve the thought but it takes longer. Like a processing delay.
I am super stressed. Depressed. But my dr blames all of this on that. I have never had memory problems in my life before the Hepatic encephalopathy

I assume you've had your thyroid function checked?

What about vitamin B12 and cortisol levels?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would it be listed as on a lab
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ive had so many labs done. I dont think so on either though

T3, T4, TSH for the thyroid

Serum B12 and cortisol for the others

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can cortisol be tested through blood? I had an ND a long time ago and he tested through saliva and he said i was in adrenal fatigue and literally had none. ( mildly exaggeratory)
I have fibro. I def have sleeping issues. I feel like my hormone levels are out of whack also but they come back normal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know ive had a thyroid function done in the past but i don't know about the viat B or cortisol

Yes blood tests are best for cortisol level testing

Have you been formally tested by a clinical psychologist?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When my liver went down they went through alot. Because i had no reason to have the high amonia levels. Not a drinker and have never used drugs. My amonia was a 68. And no on pysch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would an MRI detect early onset alzheimers or dementia? I just had one 2 months ago and was normal. I do feel like im perimenopausal and i wonder if this is effecting my thought process also.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or perm brain damage from the HE.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its very scary and frustrating

Sorry for all the questions here

From what you've told me I see no indication of either Alzheimers or dementia with this. And with a normal MRI that would confirm my thoughts--no brain damage either

I think your thyroid and cortisol and B12 levels should be rechecked thoiugh

I think the problem is more from anxiety and depression and not a physical situation

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you have that bad of sudden memory issues from anxiety and depression and they just happen to coincide w the liver poisoning. I am seeing Cleveland Clinic Nuero next Thursday but honestly i didnt think i could wait that long to talk to someone. My memory has always been my biggest asset. So its scary.

I think they just coincided with your liver poisoning and anyone that goes through that is bound for a time to be anxious and depressed

So if the anxiety and depression are treated your memory problems should resolve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hope you are right. Thank you. Its what my family doctor says ( but i also had to keep telling them some thing was wrong w me w the amonia levels before they figured out ) my GI at Cleveland Clinic said it was shocking i was driving around and functioning at a 68. She said alot of people would be in a coma. I was a mess. Couldnt remember anything. Thank you

My pleasure but let me know how it goes with the CC Neurologist

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How i do that

Even after you rate my service to you for this page it will still be open

Otherwise you can start a new question page with For Dr Chip Only

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh ive never done before. Thats how nervous i was. I felt i had to talk to someone before next Thursday. Thanks again

I'm here for you anytime

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor