Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the best option or solution for brain fog?

3/11/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington. I am boarded in surgery and integrative medicine. Can you tell me more about your brain fog?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are many days where I sleep an entire evening, usually with some sort of OTC sleep aid as I can’t sleep an entire night, and a few hours into the day my mind feels like it’s a dead weight and nothing is processing...I usually have to take a 25-35 min nap at lunch in order to reset it. If I can’t take a nap at lunch, when I get home from work, I pass out in less than 2-3 mins and wake up naturally in 30 feeling better. No amount of caffeine or energy drinks help so I avoid trying to use them

Have you seen a physician? Have you had routine lab work done, like having our thyroid hormones checked?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I spent a few days at mayo clinic a couple years ago. All blood work and tests came back “normal”. Had a sleep study done, and no apnea just recommended different sleep positions. One doc said he could give me adderall to wake up and something to help me sleep but I prefer not to have to use two drugs to keep me awake and asleep at the “normal” hours.

I am glad you had a good work up. Have your symptoms changed in the couple years since you were evaluated?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. They are the same and I just go through the days “existing” while searching for some sort of remedy. The only thing that may have changed is my lack of energy to keep a normal fitness regime.

OK. Well when standard medical searching for answers does not work, I turn to integrative and functional medicine. Would you like to go in that direction? Since you have suffered from so long, I really do not think it could hurt. I would like to know a little bit about your diet, exactly what you eat, how much you exercise if at all, and your sleep patterns. Diet is first an foremost. What did you eat yesterday?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will
Follow
Up shortly....thank you. Heading to office now. Thanks again

No worries. I will be headed to the office as well. We can dialogue as we have a chance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yesterday - two eggs and an avocado with carrot juice and one coffee for breakfast...lunch - almonds and chicken soup. Dinner - lentils. I go to bed every night around 10-10:15 and alarm is set for 6:15am...I hit the snooze four times before getting up because I’m so exhausted. I wake up at 2-3am every night and have to relax my mind to sleep again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did a 75 minute hot yoga class yesterday too.

Wow, that is awesome. Your diet seems quite healthy. In functional medicine we would look at the pituitary-adrenal- hypothalamic axis. It would be interesting to know your daytime cortisol levels at 6am, noon, 6pm, and midnight. We would also look at DHEA. These are the hormones that become abnormal when there is excess stress. Yoga is a wonderful outlet for that, but hot yoga is more cardiac/can be stressful exercise rather than purely hormone balancing. If you enjoy it, by all means continue. As far as diet goes, functional medicine teaches to use an elimination diet to balance things--which is pretty much fruits/veggies/organic proteins while you hold the top foods people are sensitive to--which are eggs,soy,dairy,gluten,tree nuts. The alternative is to have an IgG food sensitivity test done and see what you are reacting to at this time. Dairy is often a culprit. The next thing I would like to know is thyroid function tests. Have you been tested lately? I would want a TSH, T3,T4, and anti-thyroid antibodies (thyroglobulin and peroxidase). Thyroiditis/hypothyroidism can definitely make you feel off balance/tired all the time. Do you have access to a physician? You are doing the right thing about being proactive in trying to solve this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I have not picked a primary physician since relocating so I will need to do that as soon as posisble. I will get these items checked and get info back to you. How does one go about checking coritisol levels throughout the day?

Good morning. Glad we connected before work.

I use a testing company called Genova Diagnostics for a lot of specialized testing. They take a few insurance companies, but there still may be an out of pocket cost. It is 4 saliva samples.

Here is the link:

https://www.gdx.net/product/adrenocortex-stress-hormone-test-saliva

You may find a lab close to you who can do something similar, but Genova will ship kits to anyone in the US, you just need a local ordering physician. I would hunt for a doc who is trained in functional medicine.

Here is search tool:

https://www.ifm.org/find-a-practitioner/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have a great day. Thank you

You are welcome. I am happy to assist further, good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in the Knoxville area now so I will have to see the options available. Fingers crossed

Oh there are some good people in the Knoxville/Ashville area! Good luck!

Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington