Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have two really itchy insect bites that are making me

Hi. I have...

Hi. I have two really itchy insect bites that are making me miserable! they are both very swollen. i took a Claritin Liqui-Gel loratidine 10 mg/ antihistimine yesterday morning which cautions to take no more than one in 24 hours. then last night, I took a generic Marc's Allergy Relief pill because the itching was still terrible (probably worse than in the morning, actually). The allergy relief pill was Ceterizine HCI Tablets USP 10mg/ Antihistimine. It also said take only one in 24 hours. My question is, can I take another Claritin now, since 24 hours has passed from taking that pill? Any other suggestion you have is welcome!

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

None, and no.

3/11/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it doesn't sound like you have used any topical anti-itch creams yet.

I would start there

wtih 1% hydrocortisone cream

and bendryl cream on the itchy areas

you can use these creams 2-4 times a day both to help the itchness without having to keep taking these antihistamines.

actually, I did use one, but it didnt seem to help. I will tell you what it was in a moment.
It was desoximetasone cream usp 0.25%
maybe my cream wasnt strong enough. are the ones you mention over-the-counter?

yes, 1% hydrocortisone cream is over the counter

and benadryl cream is over the counter

you need to give the creams a few minutes so they can work

and you can reapply 3-4 times a day

and not scratch the area.

also, to my original question: Is it ok to alternate the antihistimines mentioned above?

yes, you can take another claritin now.

and take one per 24 hours

Thank you

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

The answer was pretty good; however, I am perplexed as to why the cream suggested seems to be stronger than what my doctor prescribed; and the one suggested here is over-the counter!? --not the doctor's fault. If the cream he suggested stops the itching, then I will be very happy.
Please don't keep asking me about switching to a phone call... it makes your service sound mercenary. asking once is enough.

it is my me asking about a phone consultation

the system automatically does this

you can contact customer service about this

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

prescription steroid creams can be more potent than hydrocortisone

so 0.25% of a prescription steroid cream may be about the same steroid potency as a 1% over the counter hydrocortisone cream.

OH. thank you.
i thought i was being asked for a rating and was commenting as such. how do i close out and go to the ratings?

do you see the ratings area?

you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
sorry, I do not see the area
oh now i see it at the top

thanks for that

thanks for using JustAnswer.com