Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Started having pain sleeping on left side, last few months…

Started having pain sleeping...

Started having pain sleeping on left side, last few months noticed swelling in my clavicle/sternum joint area. I had partial thyroidectomy of the right lobe about 18 years ago. ideas...? I live remote alaska

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent serious injuries slowly increasing over last months to the point can see difference looking in mirror

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not off the top of head

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Do you feel pain when you touch the swollen area?

slight pressure and mild irritation like a pressure more than pain
I live remote Alaska and using satellite for internet

Thank you very much.

The most common cause for pain and swelling in the sterno-clavicular joint is arthritis; this can happen as we age, like arthritis of knee joints. Some time, a continuous pressure over the affected joint could be the trigger, and in your case it could be the sleeping positing you take every night.

Sometimes, subluxation (misalignment) of the sternoclavicular joint in the absence of any trauma or injury can also happen, which can also give rise to pain and swelling.

As of now, I will suggest you to sleep flat on your back or on the opposite side.

Use Motrin or Aleve (anti-inflammatory) for control of pain and inflammation.

There is no urgency or rush to have this examined immediately or at ER.

In case this doesn't improve with in next few weeks (2-3 weeks); then you should have this examined and have an Xray done to ascertain the exact cause for this.

Hot compresses will also be helpful over the affected area.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Would arthritis cause the swelling associated and as noticeable as I see? I have arthritis in lower back from a fusion and nothing like it as a comparison
if a misalignment is there a stretch that can help manilpulate it back down. Thanks

This is a very superficial joint. Therefore any misalignment or effusion (fluid build up due to inflammation) will be visible immediately. Swelling is a feature of arthritis, but not always.

There are maneuvers for treating subluxation, but only an expert ortho doctor can do that.

Also in your case we are still not sure if this is arthritis or subluxation.

How speedily can arthritis set in, this seems to have developed rapidly... months maybe.

It can take only few weeks for arthritis to set in.

thank you

Welcome :)

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor