Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have gout but I’m 65 and want to start taking collagen.

Hi. I have gout...

Hi. I have gout but I’m 65 and want to start taking collagen. Will the protein peptides aggravate the gout?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, I currently take colchicine and salsalate when needed. I also have diabetis (A1c was 6.1 when last tested) taking Metformim; HBP (Losartan & Am

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Lodipine; cholesterol med is Pravastatin. I’m a mess;however, I did weigh 303 lbs but have lost 50 lbs by going vegetarian and eliminating most sugars. I’m doing well according to my doctor and he didn’t discourage me from using collagen he just said it’s probably a waste of money unless I were to purchase an expensive brand...

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My family has always been very healthy. Mom and grandmother died at 95 taking only one-a-day vitamins; my father died at 73 from smoking causes. I had a hip replacement in 2015 which brought on the gout (never had it before the surgery)

3/11/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

collagen proteins don't contain purines and will not aggravate gout if you have it.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician