Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How many milligrams can i take of klonopin without an

Customer Question
How many milligrams can...

How many milligrams can i take of klonopin without an accidental overdose/ I DO WANT TO BE CAREFUL.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

YES, I HAVE. I HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT THE LIMIT IS FOR ME PERSONALLY, BUT RIGHT NOW I NEED A LITTLE MORE FOR A FEW DAYS. NO PLAN TO OVERDOSE . I DO SEE MY DR. REGULARLY-THE OTHER DAY. I AM TAKING KLONOPIN.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I HAVE A HISTORY OF CHRONIC P AIN FROM MS. UP UNTIL TWO YEARS AGO I TOOK PERCODAN OXYCONTIN AND MORPHINE, AND XANAX. NONE FOR TWO YEARS. NO ADDICTION. QUIT COLD TURKEY. I DO TAKE SERTRALINE. i do still have a bucket full of old med hanging around.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No fever. i do have serious lung issues but no current problems.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/11/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your medical history. Actually, the maximum recommended dose of Klonopin which can be used in a single day is 20 mg. HOWEVER it is recommended to increase the dose GRADUALLY up to the 20 mg limit, usually, patients are built up over the course of weeks to months to reach the dose which is right for them.

So to answer your question, a good rule of thumb is that you should not increase your dose more than 3 times your current dose suddenly. This means that if you are on a dose of 1 mg, then you can take up to 4 mg a day or if you are on 2 mg a day then you can take up to 6 mg a day. Using more than this dose can lead to drowsiness, sedation and side effects (NOT serious side effects but side effects nonetheless).

But if you are looking for the maximum safe dose then it is 20 mg a day.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/