Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr Ravoof, I have a question

Dr Ravoof, I have a question
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for requesting me.

Please ask your question.

Hello.
We spoke in December and January as I was feeling dizzy for about 6 weeks with some episodes of vertigo as well.
I banged my head on 5 December so it is possible it was concussion and also possible it was labyrinthitis although I had no ear pain etc.
The dizziness went away completely for over a month.
But now it's back.
I had a cough and cold for 10 days and have been better for 2-3 days but now I feel dizzy again.
It started off at night when I looked at the computer in the dark but now I have it in the daytime too.
This can't be a sign of anything serious like MS or a brain tumor can it?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

MS or a brain tumor will never present with only dizziness. So, these conditions are not at all in the suspicious and possible conditions causing your dizziness. I don't think that your present dizziness is related to the past dizziness that you had in December since there was a gap of one month which would not have been the case with an ongoing process.

So, your present dizziness is likely to be due to the cold that you had. This can cause dehydration, low blood pressure, blocked eustachian tube, or inner ear disturbance that can lead to dizziness. This is a transient episode of dizziness which will take a few days to a week to completely disappear. Therefore you should not worry regarding this and certainly, there is no suspicion of MS or brain tumor because of this symptom.

Take care.

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry to leap to the worst possible scenario!If it was labyrinthitis in December, is it not possible that this is a flare up of the same thing? I read some people take months/years to recover and it returns with each cold/cough they have.I checked my blood pressure and it was normal.However, I have been told on many occasions over the years thar my right eustachian tube looks a little blocked. This has been during periods when I was dizzy AND period when I was not dizzy. Is it a problem to leave it for so long? No doctor who observed it has ever suggested treatment.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

The acute symptoms of labyrinthitis such as vertigo, nausea, and vomiting resolve after several days to weeks in all forms of labyrinthitis. They will not flare up after each cough/cold episode.

Your dizziness is not related to low or high blood pressure if your pressure was normal.

It is a part of cold to have a blocked eustachian tube. These repeated episodes of eustachian tube blockage will not lead to any complication and the eustachian tube blockage will resolve after a few days of having a cold. There is no treatment for this condition or possible daily medication which your doctor can prescribe. Any activity that encourages swallowing such as drinking, chewing gum, or eating will help open the eustachian tube.

Take care.

Regarding the eustachian tube, I have been told it looks blocked even wehn I have no history of a recent or current cold.
Is this still okay?
No damage being done by not treating a long-term blockage?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, this is still okay and there will be no long-term complications because of this continued blockage.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Thank you.
I feel much better knowing this is just an annoyance rather than a sign of something dangerous.

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!
Glad that I could help.
Thank you!

Hello again.
I had one week with no dizziness but then it came back last night. Now I am starting to worry about Menieres.
I also have tinnitus and have had it for a few years at least.
Could this be Menieres?
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.This cannot be Meniere disease because your symptoms are not the presenting symptoms of Meniere. You are having only dizziness and not vertigo. Even if you had vertigo it is not accompanied with vomiting. Vomiting is seen with vertigo in Meniere disease. Also you are not having any hearing loss which is seen in Meniere disease. So, you should not at all worry about Meniere.Take care.
I do have vertigo and possibly some hearing loss in my right ear - hard to say as it's the one with the blocked eustachian tube so it is always less clear than the left. No vomiting though.
What can this be? I have never had this before, Some people say labyrinthitis behaves like this, with symptoms returning for 6-12 months.
It also seems that nausea/vomiting are not always present with Menieres. It says it depends on the severity of the dizziness.

Dear customer ,

Thank you for replying.

How severe was your past vertigo? What is the severity now? How many episodes do you have? Are you able to do activities of daily living?

Vertigo = not too severe, before or now. Not as bad now as it was in December.
Not many episodes of actual vertigo.
Just general dizziness.
I can do activities but I feel a bit dizzy, escpecially in the afternoon/evening andin low light or when looking at the computer
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.With this presentation of symptoms there is no suspicion of any ear disease. I would consider the cause to be due to anemia, or lack of sleep, or reduced water intake, lingering weakness or dizziness after a viral infection, or due to the blockage in eustachian tube. I would recommend a complete blood count to look for anemia if this is present more than 2 weeks.Take care.
I don't think it can be anemia.
I am not out of breath and my hemoglobin was normal when it was checked in October even despite the heavy bleeding I was having then.
Why would it keep coming and going?
Can it not be a tumor or MS or Menieres?
Why would reduced water intake cause this? And why at night/when using the computer? Could it be eye strain or computer vision syndrome?
Please help me.
I am scared now you have mentioned anemia as I see it can be caused by things like cancer.
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.This can certainly also occur with eye strain. With this mild presentation and without associated nausea you can safely rule out Meniere which causes severe disabling vertigo.The present cause is likely to be eye strain or a post viral lingering symptom. If you don't have anemia then you should not worry about the cause which is likely to be nutritional in most individuals.Take care.
I don't know if I have anemia. My last blood test was actually September.
But now I feel very worried that it is the cause of my dizziness.However, it does not seem likely, does it?
My dizziness was daily for 4 weeks, then petered off over the next 2 weeks.
Then went away for a month, returned for 2 days, went away for a week.
And now is back for a few days.
Surely there would not be this sort of pattern with anemia?
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.This is definitely not the presentation of dizziness associated with anemia which will be chronic and progressively worsen.Take care.
Thank you for your reply.
Is there anything serious that could be causing this?
I am feeling very worried and unsettled by this daily dizziness since Sunday.
Regarding anemia, I have been feeling tired and sometimes nap in the day. But I assumed this was due to having had a cough/cold a few weeks ago and flu a few weeks before that, plus a lot of work stress etc
Dear customer,
You are very welcome!I don't think that this is due to a serous cause. It is likely to be a lingering symptom of the viral infection that you had. This will resolve and completely disappear in another week. You should not worry regarding this.Take care.
Thanks for your reply.
I am worried as you said on 11 March that it would be better within a week.
Now more than a week has passed.
It did go away but is back.
I don't understand it and it worries me.
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.This symptom can take a few weeks to resolve. The exact recovery period cannot be accurately predicted. There may be intermittent relapses and this is not alarming or worrisome. I am sure that this will resolve in a few more days.Take care.Take care.
I can be certain this is not anemia, MS, tumors, Menieres, etc?
What if I still have it a month from now?? I have had it 3 months already.
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.You can be certain that this is not due to anemia, MS, tumors, or Meniere.If your symptoms continue to worsen then you should consult your doctor. However I am sure that they will gradually resolve in a week or two.Take care.
When you say I should consult the doctor, what illnesses do you have in mind?
I also have another question for you - I will start a new question and would appreciate your early reply as I am quite worried (as usual!)
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.I am travelling and this is the reason for the late reply. I am sorry regarding this.My suspicion of the cause for this long lasting dizziness is post viral lingering dizziness and weakness.However, I would recommend ruling out anemia with a complete blood count if this dizziness worsens. Anemia is very common and is due to dietary deficiency. This can be easily detected and treated.Take care.
Don't worry about the late reply. I am just being anxious!
I thought we ruled out anemia as you said the pattern of my dizziness does not fit.
I am also not short of breath or pale.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying .

Yes, based on the presentation we did rule out anemia. But I am referring to the future after a month of worsening symptoms where anemia will be the most likely cause. Only anemia can cause such mild dizziness which continues to worsen with time. A mild anemia can cause dizziness without shortness of breath and other symptoms.

Take care.

34; Only anemia can cause such mild dizziness which continues to worsen with time"
Are you saying anemia is the only explanation if this goes on?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying .

Another possible cause is a prolonged lingering dizziness occurring for many months. But in this case it would not worsen with time.

Take care.

Okay.
So you are saying to consider anemia only if this worsens?
I have started another thread for my other question. Can you see it?
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.Yes only with worsening anemia becomes a possibility. With continued symptoms without worsening I would consider this to be a lingering symptom after the viral infection.I am not able to see your new question.Thank you!
Thank you.
It is listed under Doctors and Specialists and says "I have a question for Dr Ravoof please"
Can you see it there?
I can see it now and have replied.Thank you!
Dr Ravoof. I am worried. My dizziness seemed to be improving and I haven't had it during the day for a few days, just mildly in the evening. But this evening I have it quite badly again. Can it really be nothing worrisome? Not anemia with this pattern of improvement and worsening? And not anything else scary? Could it be due to caffeine? I had 3 cups of coffee today, but only 1-2 per day in the last few days. I now this is getting long, and will leave a bonus. I just wanted to post here so you can see the full history. Thank you.
What worries me is that forums pf people talking about ongoing dizziness are full of people who have had MRIs, CT scans etc.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Such a pattern of improvement with transient worsening is a good sign that the dizziness is not due to a serious cause. A pathological cause of dizziness would have caused persistent chronic symptoms which would not have improved but would have gradually worsened. So, I am very sure that this dizziness is not alarming or worrisome.

The mild dizziness which has worsened can be a withdrawal symptom from caffeine due to a reduction of caffeine dose. This is possible.

I understand that most individuals with dizziness will like to have imaging studies done just for peace of mind. However, I don't recommend any imaging studies in your case. I don't suspect any serious cause of your dizziness.

Take care.

Dr Ravoof, you have made my day.
Thank you so much.

You are very welcome!

Thank you!