Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I?ve been diagnosed with GERD and I been suffering from it…

Second opinion] Hello I?ve been...
Second opinion] Hello I?ve been diagnosed with GERD and I been suffering from it in 7 yearsbut lately during my sleep I wake up on a sudden pain in the middle of my chest and my heart start pounding hard not very fast a little bit fast but hard and then it turn to Atrial fibrillation, for one to 3 mintes but it disappears when I relax and calm my selfIt happen to me maybe 4 times in the past year, the first one during vomiting one year ago and it lasted a day and I was admitted to a hospital they fix it woth medication and i was discharged the next day, they gave me counqor but wheb i visit a specalist in cardiology he sad that that i dont have to take it it happen because of gerd affecting the vangus nerve.I did all heart test from sonar to blood test to stress test all of them tell that my heart is fineThenit stopped for a year then last January it happen the second time dueing sleepIn the same fashion i explain in the beginning of this letterAll the other time except the first one lasted between 1 to 8 minDepends how i calm my self maybe?I visited alot of doctors the answers varies between you have to take tombacor because your heart have electricity problem or conqor or tale cipralex because The serotonin level is low and other docors said dont even take anything and watch your food dont eat before sleeping and do the surgery for gerdAlso im worried my left ear swells from tine to time and my eyes blood vessel are widder now and reddish eye and always tear-y specially if i wake up from sleepIm sorry if it irrelevant but im trying to explain everything happening, because maybe they are connected Thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I would consider following for your symptoms;

1) Esophageal spasm
2) Esophageal motility disorder
3) Esophagitis.

Following treatment may help you;

a) Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, nifedipine) decreases the spasm and improves the movements of the esophagus.
b) Relaxation techniques.
c) Noncardiac chest pain in the setting of esophageal spasm and esophageal movement disorder (dysmotility) often shows good response to antireflux therapy, even in the absence of typical gastroesophageal reflux symptoms.
d) Reassurance and control of anxiety is extremely important.

Anti reflux therapy is;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Following also would be helpful;

Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Helpful investigations to establish and confirm the diagnosis are;

1) Esophageal manometry; evaluates esophageal motor pattern.
2) Esophagram / Barium swallow
3) Ambulatory esophageal manometry
4) CT scan of the chest.

5) Upper GI endoscopy.

There is nothing worrisome, I can assure you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the detailed response Im very happy to read this response I always hated when doctor give me short response without explanation
it made me more comfortable to read thisThanks again

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

God bless.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Calcium channel blockers isn’t it a heart medicine?

Calcium channel blockers have multiple uses. Main use is smooth muscle relaxant, thus it works;

1) For heart ailments

2) High blood pressure

3) GERD

4) Anal fissure

5) Kidney and ureter stone expulsion etc.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aha ok thank you

You are most welcome.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor