Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve been having what seems like acid reflux but it

I’ve been having what...

I’ve been having what seems like acid reflux but it accompanied with cold clammy skin, nausea, paleness, and dizziness. I’m 28 years old. Should I be worried?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

I just started feeling cold and clammy yesterday with slight paleness. But the reflux pain just woke me up and I was even more pale than last night.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’m on testosterone replacement therapy, have just started taking trazadone for sleep help, and am on an antibiotic for a sinus infection.

3/11/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello Customer. My name is***** Reflux symptoms should not be accompanied with cold clammy skin, nausea, paleness or dizziness. These are signs that something else may be occurring. Theses are serious signs that should not be ignored. I would go to an Emergency Department and be evaluated. At your age, heart disease would be unlikely but it is possible. Also at your age, you should not need testosterone.

It’s intermittent clammynes and only dizzy when standing up. I’m on testosterone for hypogonadism. My body isn’t producing any

How long have you been on testosterone and what is the dose? How long have you taken trazadone? Did the symptoms start shortly after you began trazadone? Which antibiotic are you taking and how long have you been on it?

Testosterone injections. Once per week for the last 7 weeks until my levels begin to rise, 200 ML. Trazadone 50 mg for 1 week. SMZ/TMP for 8 days.

Here are your trazadone side effects:

More common

• Blurred vision
  • confusion
  • dizziness
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
  • lightheadedness
  • sweating
  • unusual tiredness or weakness

Less common

• Burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
  • confusion about identity, place, and time
  • decreased concentration
  • fainting
  • general feeling of discomfort or illness
  • headache
  • lack of coordination
  • muscle tremors
  • nervousness
  • pounding in the ears
  • shortness of breath
  • slow or fast heartbeat
  • swelling

You may want to stop the trazadone and see if the symptoms resolve.

Thank you for your help. Should I still go to an emergency center or wait to see if trazadone is the culprit?

It depends on the severity of your symptoms. Your are taking testosterone appropriately and I applaud you for that. I dislike "low T" centers, but if you have documented hypogonadism then you are on tract. Testosterone injections, as well as Bactrim should not have these side effects, although every medication has a side effect profile. Trazadone is the likely culprit here. It may take a while to clear it from your system, and during that time I would take it easy--and not do anything potentially dangerous, like ride a motorcycle, operate heavy machinery. Avoid dehydration. Drink plenty of water, or an electrolyte containing beverage like Gatorade or Pedilyte that can be found in grocery stores. If you feel ok, ride it out. If you are getting worse, head to the emergency department.

And for the acid reflux, are you being treated for that? Sometimes the medications commonly known as PPI's will drop Mg and B12 levels and make people feel pretty bad. I recommend a less aggressive approach by using supplements that contain de-glycerized licorice and aloe, marshmallow, and slippery elm. The herbs word well against acid reflux.

There are also some good herbal alternatives to pharmaceuticals to help you sleep, like melatonin (3mg at sundown), or Valerian tea, camomile and even yoga poses that promote sleep. I would always try these things first. I hope that helps, and I wish you good health!

Connie Pennington