Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have this short stabbing pain in my left upper arm

Hi I have this...

Hi I have this short stabbing pain in my left upper arm accompanied with a feeling of burning under the skin and a bit of numbness like someone has given me repeated injections. Wondering if it is something serious or if it can wait to see a dr after the weekend? Thanks l

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

No the pain has been on and off for three days now but no other changes to skin or nails. Two weeks ago I did have some short laser points in both arms to get rid of spider veins but they told me this should be non evasive and I’ve had no problem on the other arm.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not in my history both my grandparents had cancer and my other grand parent has muscular dystrophy

3/11/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Do you have lot of work on computer monitors, cell phone?

Hi I’m 38 and female and I’ve been on maternity leave with a now 10 month old baby so no computers or a lot of cell phone work

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This is most likely due to the pinched nerves in the neck which is giving you short stabbing pain in left upper arm accompanied with a feeling of burning under the skin and a bit of numbness. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

You can wait till the weekend, unless your symptoms are severe.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

That’s great thanks yes perhaps is posture related as when I just pulled my shoulders right back and stuck out my chest a very sharp pain went right through my arm and stung like a nasty injection.

You are very welcome.

Yes, it is posture related too and with a baby you may need some ergonomics by a physical therapist / physiotherapist.

It is privilege assisting you.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.